Talon steering fluid "cooler" questions

Under the front air dam there's a 50cm metal tube 'Ú' in the power steering fluid circuit. The only purpose I can guess would be to provide some cooling to the steering fluid by air flow over the metal tube. The 'Ú' does not exist in my Colt / Summit.

Does the fluid really get that hot or is there another purpose for the 'Ú' ? Does the 50cm 'Ú' provide any significant cooling effect to the fluid? Do/have Talon circuit racers fit additional coolers to the power steering?

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

good question, i have pondered this one myself. the front mounted intercooler i have fitted doesn't allow for the cooler in it's o.e. location, so i have to fab one to fit in. my plan was to bend up some tubing and mimic the stock part but if this could be ommitted....... i'll post your question on some of the dsm lists that i'm on and forward the reply to you. this is one of the few tasks left to complete my 1G in a 2G motor swap.

Reply to
simpleton

That is the power steering cooler and it is important. For front mounts, you generally bend it behind them. The line is very strong. You just pull the front brace for the hood and bend it behind it. Most FMIC kits have a rubber tube to cut and put on the PS cooler lines to keep them from tapping on the hood brace.

Reply to
Robert Honea