Trunk won't unlock by key or with release

2000 Mitsubishi Galant v6:

Put the groceries in yesterday and the next time I tried to unlock the trunk using the key it wouldn't open. Tried a few times, then tried the release near the driver's seat, but that too won't unlock it.

The key turns part of the way and encounters a resistance and doesn't unlock. The release is completely friction free - goes up and down without resistance.

I got in the trunk trough the back seat drop-down and observed the movements and levers, but couldn't see any obvious blockage. Tried to help the mechanism manually, but it won't budge. The Haynes manual doesn't cover this topic at all.

Is there a emergency release mechanism of some sort? Thanks.

-- Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu