UK emission test - Carisma

Just for info ....... the CO level on our 1996, 95,000 mile 1834 cc 4G93 engine has shown steadily increasing CO emissions over the last five years of mandatory annual testing. It looked certain to fail this coming November. (a pass is less than 0.3% CO) at 2500 ish rpm, and we were up to 0.26 last year)

I fitted a new Arvin `metalcat' catayst box and a `Continental' (subsidary of tyre company) brand O2 sensor.

A 2500 rpm emission test now gives 8 ppm Hydrocarbons, and 0.03 % CO. Idle CO is reported as just about 0% !

So - the cost of the Arvin cat was only 50% of the genuine Mitsubishi, and the O2 sensor 25% - although you do have to crimp the old original O2 harness plug onto the bare sensor wires. (4 wire sensor)

Whether this is all really good news or a false economy - time will tell.

The only slight issue is that the Cat does not sound as nice at

4000 rpm plus - or maybe the new downpipe needs to get some deposits on it. But I only use 4000 rpm infrequently ........

CW

(PS - thanks for the help Anton)

Reply to
C W