whats the standerd oil preshure for the 4g64?

does any one know what the oil press. for a 4g64 is ?

Reply to
mpberti

Coincidently just checked my 4G63T this morning, essentially the same basic core, using a MAG gauge set.

Cold engine on start up fast idle, about 160psi, dropping to around 90 psi after 30 seconds or so as the oil comes up to temp.

Once the engine is at normal operating temperature, the idle pressure should be around 20-30 psi. Older engines might be around 16psi. Reving to 2000 rpm should produce 60-80psi. There's a blip in the pressure around 90psi that I suspect is a relief valve or oil cooler valve opening (in the 4G63T)

If the rod bearings are a bit loose (old engines), you'll often see a pulsation in the hot idle pressure.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

thanks

i am ttrying to figure out why my 98 montero sport 4g64 is ticking while worming up. i used Mobil 1 10w-30 and a filter from the v6 6g63 it has a little lower psi rating for the relief valve 12-15 vs 16-18 for the smaller filter. I don't know why its ticking never has before, I've had it sense it was new. great truck i love it simple and strong, its a little slow but thats ok because so am I

Reply to
mpberti

One or more of the hydraulic lifters needs replacing, or at least cleaning. Replacement is simpler. Its a common problem on older engines.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

it's only got 79,000 miles on it. weird thing is it only ticks every now and then, not every time that i start it,and it never ticked before i switched to synthetic oil. I have always changed the oil at 3000 miles witch makes me think that i may have a sludging problem. Thank you for answering my questions your a great resource.

Reply to
mpberti