Wheel Shakes when I apply the brakes

I have a Galant ES, year 2000 , 2.4L Front wheel drive. Everytime I drive pass thirty miles an hour and apply the brakes the wheel shakes badly. I?ve had new drums and brakes put on and an alignment. Thaks for a reply

Reply to
TinoTaylor

Out of round drum? Warped rotor? Oddly worn tire(s)? Out of balance tires? Did they do machine work on the drums/discs? If so BE suspicious. Did they rotate the tires? Your problem happened to me once after rotation. You say NEW drums? If they are new and it did not do it before I would be suspicious of those parts. If they were aftermarket drums they might not be up to OEM spec.......Maybe the shoes were not installed correctly. Leading shoe on rear? Chamfers poorly done?

Reply to
Outlander

Front rotors....Drums are in the rear and do very little braking.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

"Outlander" wrote: > Out of round drum? > Warped rotor? > Oddly worn tire(s)? > Out of balance tires? > Did they do machine work on the drums/discs? If so BE > suspicious. > Did they rotate the tires? Your problem happened to me once > after > rotation. You say NEW drums? If they are new and it did not do > it > before I would be suspicious of those parts. If they were > aftermarket > drums they might not be up to OEM spec.......Maybe the shoes > were not > installed correctly. Leading shoe on rear? Chamfers poorly > done?

I am sorry. I said the wheel shakes, what I meant is that the steering wheel shakes if that makes a difference. Yes the drums were new and the tires did?nt get rotated. Please reply, Thanks

Reply to
TinoTaylor

Sounds like the front rotors are warped and need to be turned or replaced.

Bob

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Bob Shuman

steering

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

What Todd said....probably front rotors....If they were turned check to see how much was removed. If they got them too thin they will warp under pressure. Check front lug nuts too....If they blasted the lugs with a monster impact wrench they may have done some mischief. Especially on alloy rims. Loosen them and torque evenly to 75-80 lbs. Or maybe they are loose? Make sure rims are correctly seated against the disc flange....Tire pressures? ....Is this antilock? If it was OK before the work it had to be something the shop did....

Reply to
Outlander

I don't have the spec in front of me, but 75-80 foot pounds seems on the low side to me. I'd go to at least 95, probably 100 foot pounds to make sure the wheels don't come off. That said, I agree with the poster that it is important that all wheel lugs be tightened equally as this will help to reduce the likelihood of rotor warpage. I usually hand tighten them all, then torque all equally alternating across the wheel so all get equally tight.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

steering

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:> >

Mitsu spec is 73 ft lb +/-7 ft lb.

Reply to
Outlander

"TinoTaylor" wrote: > I have a Galant ES, year 2000 , 2.4L Front wheel drive. > Everytime I drive pass thirty miles an hour and apply the > brakes the wheel shakes badly. I've had new drums and brakes > put on and an alignment. I am stationed overseas in Germany > and if it's not German made they look at you like what the > hell and the auto mechanics on Post , PLEASE, they are more > harm than help. Thaks for a reply

Tino, I had the same problem as you everyone thought I was crazy. When I hit the brakes at 30 - 40 MPH I thought the front end was going to fall off, the steering wheel shook the whole car shook. I turned the rotors and new pads, blanced the tires, had it aligned, put on new KYB shocks and it still shook. I finally found out what was doing it. The Brake Caliper was not applying pressure to the inside of the rotor on the wheel that was shaking. I tried penetrating oil on the piston and compressed it and pumped it out a few times. Put it back together and it was better for a few miles the it came back full force shaking again. So, I went down and bought a rebuilt brake caliper for $50.00, turned the rotor again and put a fresh set of pads on. Now my Galant like a brand new 2005. straight, smooth and NO SHAKING!!! YES. If you turned your rotors look at the inside and see if the pad is hitting the inside of the rotor. If not there you go.

Scott Orange County, California

Reply to
choiceins