Which 4G63 stroker crank...

OK, since my 1G 4G63 has to come apart for a rebore and rebuild, I've decided to make a 2.3L stroker. I have the old 4G64 from my 93 Summit wagon rebuild available and the 7 bolt crank appears to be good. I'll have the machine shop check it out. I can also use the 6 bolt 4G64 crank from earlier models, and I have the option on one. I lean towards the 6 bolt, if only because my current flywheel and clutch are OK, and the 7 bolt flywheel needs a ring gear.

So, maybe the 88-92 6 bolt 4G64 crank is "better" than the 7 bolt "93-96"

4G64 crank, when fitted to a 1G 4G63T: anyone have a (pointer to a) definitive answer?
Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Here's a couple of links that should help - Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I had no idea that you could swap a 2.4 4g64 short block into a

2.0 4g63t car. I was planning on having my engine rebuilt just because I am going to be doing AWD conversion to my spyder. Figure since it will be apart I might as well get the car I really want. Now I am going to have to learn about 4g64 short block swap....

Please keep me in formed on your progress.

John

Found this discusion, not sure if you are going to be using a turbo or how big of a turbo, or what your HP goals are.

agree that an easy way to make power is a displacement increase.

You still don't see to many 2.4's running single digit ET's.

I wish I had the funds to build a 2.4 and a 2.1-2.2 and dyno them with different turbos. There is an rpm where even with forced induction an engine can't get as full a breath of intake air just because the piston is moving too fast. You reach this point alot faster on a long stroke motor.

If a 2.4 were possible with the same stroke as a 2.0 (read big bore). It would still have less low end tq than a G64. Similar spool characteristics but kick a G64's but in from 4500 rpm and up.

I'm not saying that strokers are'nt cool or capable. Just like anything they have their pros, cons and limits. There is a reason why serious small block drag cars typically have alot shorter strokes than a 383 stroker. I'll have to find the article. The closest thing I can think of is a magazine built two small block chev turbo motors. One was a 383 stroker (400 crank 350 block) the other was a 350 block in a bored out 400 block. Lets just say that shorter strokes, high boost and high RPMs get along very well together.

Those two engines had a static displacement that was identical. One got there with stroke and the other with a big bore. They also had nearly identical static compression ratios.

I'd say about 85% of DSMers would do better with a stroker than a 2.0. If you are thinking 10's or better stick with the shorter stroke rev and build the trans (high rpm shifts) to match.

A 2.4 is 20% more displacement than a 2.0.

However

10,000 rpm is 40% more revs than 8,000.

So you are actually pumping more air (how engines make power) with the 2.0 at upper rpm than you would with a 2.4 at mid rpm.

Once you get above 8 the short stroke (2.0 or 2.1-2.2) has alot better VE than a 2.4 would at that RPM. It is also less likely to launch or break the same rod. Since a long stroke looses VE up top you probably take in alot more air at 10k on a 2.1 than a 2.4 at 8k.

Reply to
John

I think the 6-bolt crank has larger bearings and should therefore handle more power than the 7-bolt motor. Even if you aren't going for more than

350 HP now, it's always nice to have that an option for the future.

I'd bet your MPG with the stroker will be less. With the price of gas going up and up, are you sure you want to do this? I am getting 27.5 MPG on my 2.0L turbo in rural driving, and that's with a newly rebuilt engine with only 500 miles on it. I have a 6-bolt motor with 1mm oversized valves, ported head, 8.5:1 pistons, HKS 264/264 cams, Walbro

190 fuel pump, every thing else is stock (for now).

The thing I like about the DSMs is that everything has been tried and what we see today is what has been proven to work. Whatever your goals, there is a recipe out on the net to do it.

Here's what I have yet to install in my 1G Eclipse:

2G MAS 660 Denso injectors Keydiver ECU EPROM upgrade Apexi AFC ProECM air-to-water intercooler

Tests performed by ProEMC revealed that the air temperature at the turbo outlet was 320 F. At 70 F ambient the typical front mounted air-to-air intercooler will drop the intake air temperature to about 250 F, while their air-to-water intercooler will drop it to about 100 degrees. The magic is simply the BTU density difference between air and water, combined with their high efficiency heat exchanger. Pumping cooler air at a lower pressure is more effective than hotter air from a bigger turbo at a higher pressure. An added bonus is the turbo can build pressure faster because the intake path is much smaller as compared to a huge front mounted air-to-air intercooler. The ProECM intercooler is much more expensive than a large FMIC, but when designing and building a project car performance is usually the higher priority.

My 2c worth. Gyz

Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Well, isn't there egg on MY face. I stripped the 6 bolt 4G63, and tried the

7 bolt 4G64 crank. It does not fit, and the 1G rods don't fit the 4G64 journals. All the sites I read talked about just "dropping in the 4G64 crank".

So, in the actinic glare of 20/20 hindsight, it makes perfect sense that you need a 6 bolt 4G64 crank (ie from an 88-92) to fit a 6 bolt 4G63. Conversely, you need a 7 bolt 4G64 crank (ie from an 93-96) to fit a 7 bolt

4G63.

It's off to the wrecker tomorrow to get that 6 bolt 4G64 crank ...

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

A company that builds such beasts should know. This is from the FFWD web site:

Note: ALL of our 2.0/2.3 motors, are 6 bolt crank platforms. Just for all you 2G guys out there, it is HIGHLY recommended to convert your

95-99 car over to accept the 6 bolt motor. It's not hard to do. We can tell you how.

Gyzmologist

From the first link that I supplied above....

"No, you can not use the 7bolt crank in a 6 bolt block."

John

This Guy. Mark, has a "Crankwalk" fix that he claims make a 2g 7 bolt more reliable than the 1g 6bolt. One of his customers built a 2.0 engine to over

900 hp!

John