wiring harness...repairable?

hi, today i was installing an amplifier and i was drilling through the firewall grommet next to the wiring harness. somehow i mannaged to drill into the harness and frayed the wires, am i SOL, or is this repairable? if it is how would you go about doing it. any sugestions would be nice, im really bummed that i just messed up my car because of a stupid sound system. there is no rush on me fixing it, and also what shops would be able to fix this for me.

Reply to
alsoknownaz

If you can easily get to the wiring, and are able to separate them, they will be repairable. I would solder all wiring and wrap insualtion tape around the soldered wire. then wrap insulation tape around the harness itself.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

thanks, i had a friend come look at it. were in the middle of removing the wiring from the inside, and giving ourselves more room to work with, will cut the housing off the wires tomorrow and try to repair them. i was lucky enough to only cut about 4-5 wires so it should be easier then i thought. thanks for all your help

Reply to
alsoknownaz

If you took it to a shop, you'd probably want an automotive electrician. An educated guess is $80/hr for labor.

It's an easy fix. I shot a screw into the frame to mount an oil cooler and managed to hit the wiring harness. I had no idea until it all shorted out and I burnt through a bundle of 40 wires..... Cut out the damaged wires and splice in a piece of similar length and gage, solder, heat shrink and tape it up.

Reply to
simpleton