1.4 Metro Rebore

I am seriously thinking about reboring the engine in my L reg metro Si 8 valve single piont. If I rebore it to a 1.6 will the pistons from a 1.6 k series fit and what will i have to do to get everything perfect?

Cheers, Kris

Reply to
Kris French

Just find a smashed 416 K series and swop the engine, it would probably be cheaper and easier :) Even better, find a smashed ZR 160 and stick that 1.8 vvc in for instant "160bhp in a shitbox" car :) Leaving the Si badges and trim on as standard...maybe change the wheels for some slightly wider ones, as you may have traction issues :)

Reply to
Dan405

Reply to
Kris French

Hrm. You need to speak to the blokes who hang around at

Andy

Can't be done -- however if your car had been a N reg it would have been possible without a rebore as from that the cylinder blocks are identical only the liners, pistons rod and crank are different right they way up to the 1.8 K16 but even then you would hit other problems.

Isn't worth dong on such an old Metro particularly as you would also need the vented discs from the Gti Better just to look round the car auctions for a cheap 1.4 Gti, the latter ones were 104 bhp more than enough for the Metro.

Reply to
AWM

Exactly. It's a damn sight easier than wasting time and money trying to get not-as-much-power from your current lump.

Reply to
Nom

I would completely agree with that - they are such a hoot to drive - I drove my mate's one from White City all the way through London, and down the A23 to Pease Pottage (through Brixton et al). Was immense fun, even if I was a little overzealous at times :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

:)

Reply to
DervMan

You can _never_ have too much power!*

*Disclaimer: this isn't true.
Reply to
DervMan

Heh. I remember reading something about one of the Lotus engineers talking about power. He said you had enough when you could do a full lap of the Hethel track sideways :P.

Reply to
Doki

These Metros handle and grip well, and that K-series engine is a gem, too.

Reply to
DervMan

That's not true.

Heh. The Metro's faults - besides styling, which is open to personal intrepetation - are that it's not a safe car to crash in amongst other peers. They are also prone to rust. Interior space isn't a strong point (compared to other "small cars") and the boot's a bit small.

Good fun to punt about, though. :)

Reply to
DervMan