17" alloys on a Tigra??

Hi there,

My new Tigra (99 V) I have recently bought, i have just discovered has buckled wheels! I didn't even know this could happen to cars, but hey the dozy bint who owned it before me obviously couldn't park for shit.

Consequently, I am looking to do either one of two things:

a) Replace the wheels with the exact same ones (Irmscher 15" twin spoke)

b) Buy some completely new ones, which if I do so, I would like to upgrade to maybe some 17"s.

Ok so I have two questions I need answered before I make my mind up

1) Is this a common prob with Irmschers - otherwise I won't bother replacing them!

2) Can you put 17"s on a Tigra without having to adjust the car?

Please be nice, I'm a woman, not an idiot.

Thanks : )

Reply to
Lydia

What do you mean by "buckled"? Are all the wheels in the same state?

I've never heard of it being a problem specific to these wheels, but I wouldn't know.

Yes, as long as the wheel/tyre combo sports similar width/circumference/offset/PCD/etc to the wheels which are already on there, 17"s will pop straight on.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Hi Lydia, bent wheels seldom have anything to do with parking. Could be accident, could have clipped a traffic island etc or more likely slid into a keb on an icy road or something. And if this happens it can be more than the wheel thats bent. Try putting a straight wheel on where the bent one is. If it still wobbles when you spin it then the hub or something else is bent either as well or instead.

Then you only need 1?

Good plan if you dont mind a harsher ride and more easy to kerb and damage?

Unlikely.

I would think so but I dont know because I dont have one. The people selling the wheels/tyres will be able to tell from their books.

But arent women the very ones that bend wheels or scrape rims on kerbs?

Reply to
Burgerman

:)

Reply to
Burgerman

I suppose I was asking for a comment like that. Unfortunately, yes a lot of women do.

Not this one!!!

Reply to
Lydia

2 are much worse that the other 2

Cool. Cheer Douglas!

Reply to
Lydia

No, they must have been whacked quite hard.

Yup, need thinner tyres and ET49 offset, and you're away. The place selling you the wheels will tell you what it is you need tyre an fitment wise.

Reply to
Iridium

Unless you want to spend money for no reason, why not get the damaged wheels repaired? As long as they are not too badly damaged, this will be far cheaper than replacement and your wheels should be as good as new.

Reply to
Ken

See, I'm a little concerned now, as everyone is telling me they must have been whacked hard.

Obviously I've never come across this before (because I can acually drive properly!), so I just believed the guys at kwikfit who fitted the new tyres.

I hope the car is not bent. So you guys reckon I should check that?

Reply to
Lydia

Just stick a straight wheel on each corner in turn If the wheel runs true then its all fine!

Reply to
Burgerman

That advice is in fact rubbish...............suspension parts could be bent and straight wheel would still run true.

However if damaged wheel is not distorted by more than about 20mm then any other damage to vehicle is highly unlikely.

If you are concerned with other possible damage, then after refitting repaired wheel (s) to car, then have wheel alignment checked on 4 wheel computor alignment equipment, whose read out will give a very clear indication if there is any suspension damage.

Ken