20" Tyres

anyone know of companies that do a 245 or a 265 ? Have done searches etc but can only come up with

245/255/275 profiles

ta

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Make your mind up! Can you or can't you get 245s?

Quite frankly 10mm is going to make bugger all difference when you've got to that size tyre.

Out of interest what car (truck?) is this for?

Reply to
Scott M

doh, didnt mean to put to 245 there..

to that size tyre.

It matters purely for asthetics, I dont want the tyre to be stretched over the rim, I want the tyre to sit nice and square, If I go to an 8.5" rim I think 255 might look a bit stretched, so ideally a 265 will be perfect. A

275 might bring me into clearance problems and look too big. If I go 8" I might try a 245 on the front with 255 on the back.

The 8.5" and 8" rims are different styles so I need to work all this junk out before I order the wheels.

'55 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sedan. As you might guess its been somewhat re-engineered...

Reply to
Mark

I think Scott was worried it was a Nova or a Saxo or something equally silly.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yank site but I'd expect at least some of its suggestions to be available over here:

245/35

Potenza S-03 ContiSport Contact 2 SP9000 PZero Nero Pilot Sport A/S

265/35

Yokohama AVS Sport SP8000

Reply to
Grant Mason

excellent, thanks Grant.

Reply to
Mark

Indeed, but even on the stock car they wouldn't be "right" without some fairly major adjustment... I ended up cutting the front of the car off and rebuilding it.

Reply to
Mark

Where do you live, if you live near bristol, South West tyres sell 20" and they do good deals on my 18"

Try

they ship nationally as well

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Me, cynical? Never!

;-)

Reply to
Scott M

It's nice to know it wasn't... g

Reply to
antispam

I think I speak for everyone when I say.....

piccies, piccies, piccies!!! :D

Reply to
Simon Burrows

It aint much to look at at the moment, before I bought it it was sat in a front garden, sorry "yard" of a house in a place called Amarillo (Texas panhandle). Far as I can work out it was off the road for at least 10 years. We've installed a home made mustang II front clip, should be doing motor mounts next week and then rear bags. Got a brake sevro and pedal box from a early 80s blazer. Small block chevy ( original engine only useful as a boat anchor ), the engines got some aftermarket heads with big valves and forged pistons. The wheels are the next big purchase then its all little bits and pieces until paint and interior.

I've got a stack of pics at home, I'll dig them out and post some links to em. Meanwhile 'ave a look at:

- loadsa UK pics
- Here too
- UK Street Rod Association
- US Mag ( look in features for "modern traditionalists", these cars are very similar to mine).
- Another US Mag
- Yet another US Mag

that'll keep you busy for an afternoon :-)

Reply to
Mark

Excellent. There's no work being done here today then :P

I love old yank motors (says the guy with the modern Jap car, lol)

Reply to
Simon Burrows

If you listen closely to that engine, you'll hear it say "Put the original valves back in and turbocharge me, please." ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

They are the original valves, the whole head is an after market item, you certainly wouldn't be able to use stock sized valves in these heads.. If you were turbocharging a small block you wouldn't want stock late 70s heads, they do not flow well at all, as they are "smog heads". Besides you'd probably be better off with larger valves on a turbo conversion. I'd rather go with a 6/71 blower anyway.

Reply to
Mark