206 brake pads

I've just had my Peugeot 206 serviced and the front brake pads are 85% worn after 2 years. I'm looking to replace it soon so do you people here have any recommendation regarding this? The Peugeot original is £41 and I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks.

Reply to
i-ball

I think I've gone through a set in 3 thousand miles or so before, so don't moan :P.

Can you get the brakes to fade or not?

Reply to
Doki

I use EBC Green Stuff up front at the moment, cos its a low powered car (if its the GTi, consider Red Stuff) and it fairly light, they're fine, they work better than the standard ones, and are cheaper :)

seem to be the best place, good service by all accounts.

Reply to
Dan405

Which model of 206 is it?

If it's a non sporty model then just stick to standard pads, but if it's a GTi then go for some fast road pads such as Mintex M1144's, Ferrodo DS2500's or Pagid's...

Reply to
Rich D

You can't go far wrong with a set of EBC Greenstuff from

for about £40.

Reply to
Nom

Thanks to all those who've replied. I guess the green stuff wins.

Reply to
i-ball

dont bother just fit standard mintex range.

Reply to
Theo

Having had both, i can say that Greens are worth it, they're A) better and B) cheaper.

Reply to
Dan405

For my car Mintex 1144s cost £40 or so from Burton etc. and EBC Greenstuff seem to be about £35 quid. Given people say Greenstuff pads can start crumbling, I'd rather have the Mintex pads. And everyone's heard of Mintex pads :P.

Reply to
Doki

People that let them crumble are stupid. They crumble when used on cars to heavy/powerful for them, these cars require Red Stuff, greens are good for little/low powered cars cos they don't need any heat in them to work, and they're hard wearing.

Reply to
Dan405

Given that that's the case, the car concerned is 2001 Peugeot 206 1.6 XT (import). I've had a look a the pads briefly and the Mintex are more than twice the price to the greens so I'd settle for the greens for now until I get 160+BHP out of it (if possible).

Reply to
i-ball

Doubt you will. 100BHP a litre is a lot, particularly as you need it to be torquey at low speeds etc. for around town.

Reply to
Doki

I said mintex standard range...... not the 1144's, and I think you will find they be cheaper than EBC's,

Reply to
Theo

100bhp a litre is not a lot these days really. You don't need it to be torquey at low speeds for around town, its handy yes, but not necessary, high revs screamers can be fun to :)

Greens will be find.

Reply to
Dan405

Aren't most 1.6s still around 100 / 100 brake? The only 100 brake / litre engines I hear about are the Jag ones (V6s)?

Reply to
Doki

Honda make a few (civic type R, S2000), beemer make a few, if you're tuning, then the Pug 2.0 16v engines found in the Mi16/GTi6 etc can be tuned to

200bhp quite easily apparantly, also i here the 2.0 zetec engine is quite tunable? And if we're not just NA, then anything turbo'd should have 100bhp per litre.... I don't know which Jag engines do tho, if any?
Reply to
Dan405

They'll only be slightly cheaper, and they aren't as good. Just like Dan405, I've tried both. Nothing wrong with stock Mintex pads, but they aren't a match for a "performance" pad.

Reply to
Nom

I've always had excellent results from Greenstuff.

Being a "performance pad", they tend to wear a bit quicker than standard pads, so keep an eye on them - you don't wanna be down to the metal when you need to do an emergency stop :D

Reply to
Nom

It looks like Pug manage to get 180 brake in the GTi 180 from 2l. AFAIK the GTi is also lowered a bit, a bit wider etc. I don't really want everyone having the "is it better to mod a car, or get a better one?" argument again, but it's probably cheaper to a GTi and start with that for the 200 brake.

They don't. I seem to remember someone saying the 3l V6 did, but I didn't check it. Just got in from town when I wrote it :P It should have said "100 / 110 brake" as well...

Reply to
Doki

I want a GTi 180 :) They rock.

Reply to