24hr 2CV Racing

I also posted this idea to UKRM, but got a bit flamed for it - no sense of adventure, some people ;-)

However, I've always fancied giving this one a crack - even more so now it's been moved from Mondello in Dublin to Snetterton.

Anyone else fancy trying to get a team together for it?

We'd need 4 drivers (including me, obviously), and a couple of spannermen.

Also need somewhere we can store and work on a car, and about £2500-£3000 between us, plus the cost of getting a race license and overalls........

Of course, any sponsorship we managed to bring in would lower the cost per competitor.

Any takers?

Reply to
SteveH

It looks like a good laugh!

I like the way the brakes and stuff have to be standard, sounds a bit crazy to me! Sounds funny :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

So you want a Technical Director then, someone to organise car and equipment, source sponsorship etc. etc.

Hello!!!

Matt

Reply to
**-**

And then you'd need someone who's owned and rebuilt a few 2CVs and knows their way round them..and knows how to drive them quick :-)

Hello!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

And as i mentioned on MSN Matt, i'd be a good test driver, a healthy disrespect for my own life and safety, and the idea of crashing a 2CV sounds quite funny :) Granted i have little mechanical knowledge, no experience racing or 2CV's and i've never been on a track in my life, plus i would probably having laughing fits driving a 2CV :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Oh - you reckon this could be a possiblity?

I'll catch you on MSN later....... gotta see a man about a large Alfa Roundel this evening ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Time to mutter those immortal words

"It'll Be Fine" ;-)

Matt

Reply to
**-**

And in other news SteveH is quoted as saying:

Mondello in Kildare, about 45-60mins from me :(

Reply to
Chet

I remember seeing some 2CV racing at Brands *yonks* ago, back when I owned one. IIRC they were lapping at an average speed of close to 70mph, which is pretty impressive when the standard flat-out top speed is only something like 72 !

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Hardwood
72 LMFAO! anyway i want to know where the race is if you lot do it as i gotta have video evidence of something so dumb in such a gay car :)

Reply to
Vamp

It's not fair, us brits have to put up with warm guinness, crap food and bars that shut at 11.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or... "just take it easy at first"

Reply to
. BaldyBastard .

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Do not Dis the 2CV, it might only do 72 flat out, but it can go flat out almost anywhere, braking isn't needed, just a confidence that you can turn the wheel just that little bit more.

And it it hasn't got enough go, stick in a GS 1.3 engine. Double the power instantly.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

yep - fond memories of sitting in the bar of a hotel in Dublin, drinking to way gone 4, and leaving my hire car in the car park (had to take a taxi to work in the morning I would have been way over limit). I went to bed at 5 ish, got up at 7 ish, did a full days work then slept....

No-one seemed surprised that I was a bit slow that day!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

FYI: 2 cv racing Belgium

standard cat: 29 HP Modified 45 HP Proto 75 HP

Power at the wheels, not at flywheel. Proto drives around Spa at avarage speed of 127 KPH ( ±80 MPH), reaching top speeds at the end of Kemmel of about 184 kph (115 MPH). The 2-cylinder revving then at 8500-9000 RPM and does this for 24Hr.

The only regret is that 2cv-racing evolved from a cheap racing sering to a very expensif one: I've been proposed an 2cv-engine for 400.000 BF (8000 UKP) some 4 years back.

engine 2cv-proto: 652 2 cylinder "Visa" engine, compression 1/11, camshaft

320°, electronic injection and ignition waterinjection if engine longer than 3 secondes on full throttle, twinsparked cilinderheads, ported, modified and lightened crankshaft, flywheel 2.5 kg (orginal 9.8 kg), no ventilator, big extra oilcooler driven by a separate pump

power outpout at the wheels = >75 HP at 8500 rpm ( 6 years ago). I suppose that by now they will have crossed the 80HP mark. An 100HP (flywheel) engine will set you back about 8000-10000 UKP which I found over the top and not true to the original spirit of 2cv's.

Actually I pay around 600 UKP-1000UKP for a 120Hp Honda CBR600 giving some 130 HP and weighing less than half of the 2cv engine and gearbox. And in a small racecar it is big fun too.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Mike P raved thus:

:: There speaks someone who's never driven one :-)

I know someone who had one once. It had a length of hose gashed onto the end of (half) the exhaust system, to get the gesses out from under the car. It also had a cracked windscreen from where he'd thrown a car part (could have been the starter motor, this was years ago now...) at it in frustration!

He also has a MkII Escort where the engine was held on by one mount. When he hit the throttle the gearstick would smack him in the leg. Oh, and it was painted matt black.

If you're reading this, sorry Peter ;o)

That said, his Chevette was kinda fun.

Abo

Reply to
Abo

JackH raved thus:

Vamp mate, you gotta change that car. I know they're great technically (I remember a fast rallycross MkI years ago), but the lads are right.

And, I only know one MR2 owner and yep, he's gay...

Abo

Reply to
Abo

coooool, i'll be having some of that. And i've even got a lisense already :)

I remember dad telling stories about when he used to work for Citroen - they used to have competitions to see who would be the first to roll a 2CV - none of them ever managed it. Always fancied a go in one!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I'll be one of the mechanics then. Sure I can get my brother and his mate involved too. We rebuilt our last 2cv on a new chassis in 2 days on my grandma's drive and it passed the MOT the day after, so we've got a vague idea what we're doing :-)

I don't want to drive though. 15st might put yur average 602cc motor under a bit of a disadvantage :-) I'll make sure you have a good car though..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

I don't want to drive though. 15st might put yur average 602cc motor under a bit of a disadvantage :-) I'll make sure you have a good car though..

Mike

Minimum weight is set for car including driver. So jockeys need to carry ballast! Us "bigger" blokes are not at a disadvantage - I'm 16 stone and I have finished as high as third place. And since the circuit runs clockwise, more weight on the drivers side of the car helps the cornering speed......

-- Neil McDonald ("Reply to" is spamtrapped).

Reply to
Neil McDonald