27.6mpg....

.... is what the Kia Rio did over a full tank on Monday and Tuesday.

All motorway and A-Roads / Dual Carriageways.

I'm almost impressed.

Reply to
SteveH

Hah, my underpowered, badly designed, antique engined badly badged Toyota does better than that.

Reply to
Elder

Yes, but you've been driving like a nun.

I've been driving it like I stole a stolen car.

Reply to
SteveH

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I think you're missing the reasoning behind Steve's pride in that figure...

Reply to
Adrian

Just think how much better it would be if you were hypermiling a Passat TDI though.

You could drive just as heatefully but also save wads of cash.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Not bad for a big lump of lard.

Reply to
Conor

That's actually really good isn't it? It's more than I ever got out of the

197 except when on the long runs when doing the Europe thing. Way to go Kia :-) Is it one of those that goes 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th then 7th for the gears? As if to say, the first two are for blistering acceleration (ehem, even on the 3 pot derv) and the last 3 are for bitching economy?
Reply to
DanB

Actually, I haven't. On the way home tonight on the motorway, I figured rather than sticking to a speed, I would stick to an MPG as it was pretty clear.

Sticking to 30mpg with a rocksteady foot, varied between 68 and 83mph because there are a couple of slight uphills. I found even on the flat, I had a lot of lane change/passing to do, rigidly holding the 30mpg.

It was fun.

Reply to
Elder

No, it wasn't.

Fun is bouncing off the limiter.

You were driving like a clueless c*ck.

Reply to
SteveH

There isn't any challenge it that though. It is what they do. Without stupid effort, I'm doing it in a car that apparently doesn't do economy, and I'm enjoying it.

Reply to
Elder

Not my idea of fun. I found that having an instantaneous mpg display just had the ability to make you uber-paranoid about economy.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

The only reason for having one, or at least having the trip computer to display it, is to see how low it will go.

Reply to
SteveH

Only if all you can afford is a 1 litre saxo. I've seen the little chavs bouncing at the lights.

If I was going to do it the IS, I wouldn't get out of second.

70 in 3rd is 6k and does sound awesome. Redline is 6.5k and the clock goes round to 9k, limiter is at arround 7.5k I think.
Reply to
Elder

Can be.

Only in some things. I very rarely trouble rev-limiters nowadays..

Reply to
Pete M

That's fine, if that's what you have.

Unfortunately, it's not what's fitted to an IS200.

What's the point in buying a revvy 6-pot then driving it like a diesel?

Reply to
SteveH

I bet, just like clarkson, you never use the brake on the motorway. Ever.

Reply to
Elder

I try not to.

Keeps the traffic flowing better and does more for your economy than any amount of inconsiderate 'ebb and flow' driving can.

Reply to
SteveH

Or an IS300.

Fair point, it's not something I'd spend a week doing. Thing is, Carl's enjoying himself, he's spent a wedge of money on something that him and his missus seem to like and he's wondering what it'll do MPG wise if he drives it like he's just put the last gallon of unleaded on the planet.

I think we've all played the 'econometer' game, see how many or how few mpg its possible to squeeze from a car. I know I've done it, but not long term, I tend to reset the trip whenever I put fuel in, and reset the fuel computer when I go on a long run. Normally just so I know how much fuel to put in to go a certain distance.

Having said that, I've managed a 65 mpg average at decent speed across North Wales in a TDCi Mondeo, and 13 mpg in a Yaris on a Motorway run from Chester to Liverpool so it can be fun to play with fuel computers occasionally..

Reply to
Pete M

But if you do, you aren't picking a speed and sticking to it. You are being a hypocrit.

Wrong in so many ways. Adjusting your speed will do more to keep flowing than tearing arse out into tail end of traffice because you "choose a speed and stick to it".

Reply to
Elder

You're getting 30mpg from a cramped car with 150bhp that you have to change gear yourself in. I'm getting 34mpg, more on a run, from a bigger car with

180bhp that changes gear itself. And enjoying it.

People that try get 50mpg from my car. But then they're called dervy and are too nerdy for words.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp