30-70 Times...

The PD160 is unique to the Ibiza Cupra. FMIC, dirrent turbo, remap.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The 174 is the old 5-pot bottom end with a PD top end + camchain now instead of belt.

No, it's a company vehicle unfortunately.

JB

Reply to
JB

11k?

That's not bad... not for me, anyway. lol

Any idea what mods they've done to get that much increase?

If they're anything like mine, they could do with an improved intercooler... I reckon mine will time a lot better when the weather cools down, and a decent front mount would almost certainly help get it running more consistently whatever the outside temperature.

I think it's only fuelling and boost mods. All in ECU with no mechanical mods. These are really easy engines to tune.

JB

Reply to
JB

Yes, the offset is 45 not 42, the centerbore on the Impreza is 1mm smaller but as the wheels have a much larger bore it's just a case of spigot rings. The only slight worry is if I use T1Rs they have quite a rim protector on them and may get close to the struts on the front.

Reply to
Depresion

30 to 70 in 3rd gear in my 197 today - 3 seperate runs (one included an overtake hehe) all got about 7 seconds dead. Mum timing on a phone stop watch, with a '3 2 1 go' - 1 time she did the count down, 2 times I did it (one of those was the overtake) and we got about bang on 7 seconds each time. I forgot to do it flat out using 2nd and a gear change as well :-(

I'm happy with that too :-) I have 6 gears, and it was at about 2700rpm when I hoofed it (from the owners forum, 3rd = 11.14mph/1000rpm).

Reply to
DanB

Oooh, might have to look out for something with that engine in. The old engines in the A6s etc were fantastic engines with a lovely sound at idle (and a gutsy roar when revved. Seriously), and whilst they still stood up very well against much more modern diesels in terms of performance/economy, they had an expensive cambelt to replace (tricky timing that's quite fussy for it to be spot on), and were smoky old things on full throttle....

Something more modern, with a chain drive, more power as standard, and PD (which has got to make it more economical, or at least *as* economical but with more envirobollocks emissions tat bolted on) could be quite appealing. Apart from the fact that I just prefer the idea of something petrol with a whole lot less complex stuff to go wrong, and LPG to keep costs down.

As a rough example, my 96/N Xantia Activa 2.0 8v Turbo, regularly sees pretty similar economy figures to my brothers 54-plate Audi S4. Comparing like for like, more or less. That's the appeal of something big-ish, barge-like and LPG.

/Harry Hill mode/

Anyway, what's better - a well remapped decent TDI engine, or a much simpler much less stressed V8 engine with LPG? There's only one way to find out - FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

D'oooh.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Most VAG TDIs are... :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

How big is your mum?

Depending on how much of a heffer she is, having her in the car might have made a bit of difference. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

How big is your mum?

Depending on how much of a heffer she is, having her in the car might have made a bit of difference. ;-)

Hehe, she's about 5' 7or8" - maybe 10 stone tops (that sounds too much actually). She's shorter than me anything and considerably thinner (cycles several miles a day, swims often etc, eats salads...). So maybe, if she kicked me out, we'd get well into the 6s :-D

Reply to
DanB

A revvy 4 cyl 2.0 16v petrol engine, making 100ps / 98.5bhp per litre, with peak torque at 5krpm, peak power and a shift light at 7,250rpm and a limiter at 7,500rpm.

That's the best and you're all faaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggs :-D

Reply to
DanB

And that's part of their charm. Improved intercooling will be handy, as will cool autumn mornings with a bit of mist...

Reply to
DervMan

French? You know I only do German these days. Still got an E36 M-Sport tourer as well as the 'Velle though. :>)

They are very lenient when it comes to tuning co cars at our place. If you don't blow it up you'll get away with it.

JB

Reply to
JB

I vaguely remember you buying an E36. An E34 M5 Tourer would have been much nicer (even though it would've been a left-hooker)

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It's one of the reasons I favour them, that's for sure.

Learned that one on small two strokes. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Any gains from weight loss would be nulled by excessive slipping of the clutch and the application of make up in the rear view mirror.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

The best?

Not even close.

You need a revvy 4 cyl 2.0 16v petrol engine, making 120bhp per litre, with peak torque at 7.5k rpm, peak power at

8,300rpm and a limiter at 9000 rpm.

Or a revvy 6 cyl 3.2 making 290bhp at 8000 rpm

Or a 6.2 V8 making 514bhp at 6800 rpm

Or a 6.0 V12 making 620PS at 7600 rpm.

Now those are truly great normally aspirated engines, with no french connections.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How much torque...?

I've driven a Type-R - I reckon the Passat would beat it in a 100mph roll on, be that in floored in sixth or dropped down and through the gears, and you're looking at spending a lot more money on one of those to get decent gains than you'd have to on any half decent TDI.

Other than that, it was actually bloody annoying once the novelty of a rapid rev building was gone - they're too focussed and I've had much more fun in a 106 GTi, something which manages to both handle and ride nicely over bumpy surfaces.

Yes, but meanwhile back in the real world...

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

E34 M5 Tourer. Mmmmmmmm. Ding. Although not necessarily a LH drive. I've driven a RHD version.

*Want* Sooo badly.

JB

Reply to
JB

Irrelevant...

I must admit the thing that stopped me going down the hot hatch route would have been the drudge of city driving in a car that needs 4000 rpm to get from the left lane to the right from the lights before the bus lane starts.

However the application of the engine above is in the S2000, which it suits so well.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No1 son has a Civic Vtis goes like shit off a shovel. Love the way it gets extra breath where normally everyone elses rev out. I want one.

--waits for ridicule. Les Ross Certified by a Professional

Reply to
Les Ross