4/21/2005 Stock Picks

>> Ray Dill> > >>> Maybe we should calculate a coefficient of information against, >>> say, 30 day post facto results? >>> >>> I have my doubts about the merits of technical analysis, >>> especially automated technical analysis, but a least-squares >>> regression line does not lie. > > >>> > > >>> Shall we run the experiment? >>> > > >> Who are we? You and who else? What is your relation to the original >> poster, if any? > > > I have no relation to the original poster; the "we" I referred to > was all interested parties; I can do the math, you can check my > code if you like. I'm a Knowledge Engineer who's been working > independently on stock tracking and market information extraction > (among other things) since the dot-bomb. > > As a KE, I have math background and some software tools for > measuring the value of predictions given. And I've just gotten > to a point where I want to start measuring the value of my own > results against the value of predictions made by others. > >> As far as I remember he did not rank them, just gave categories and >> sets of shares that fitted them. > > > Meh. That's a ranking, of sorts. He sorts them into categories; > ranks can be calculated from there, although it will mean assigning > the same "rank" to every item in any given category. The numeric > value of the rank is the number of things ranked lower, plus half > the number given the same rank. > >> I posted this note weeks ago. Why have you only responded now? > > > 'Cause in a few days the 30-day window will be up and we can measure > the a priori predictions against post facto results. :-) > >> If you can get some sort of performance criterion out of his daily >> recommendations then by all means have a go, but the OP is probably >> impervious to any comment as he ignored my fairly provocative one. > > > Hell, I don't care what the OP thinks. I just think it'd be fun > to apply the math and see whether this is real, random, or (as I > suspect) shilling in an attempt to to wilfully mislead investors. > > Ray >

Fine. What does your analysis show then? I would expect the results to be random with chance fluctuations.

Reply to
·David Wilkinson

Fine. What does your analysis show then? I would expect the results to be random with chance fluctuations.

Reply to
·David Wilkinson

Okay, I'll start. For performance criteria, I'll be taking the ratio of the 4/21/2005 closing price to the sum of the 5/21/2005 price plus any dividends for the month; ie, the ratio of starting to ending value, ignoring inflation and currency fluctuation (which have devalued all US issues equally during this time).

But give another 4 days for the results to be available.

Ray

Reply to
·Ray Dillinger