5 Car Fantasy Garage

I haven't picked any 'hypercars', 'cos they're just a bit pointless.

Most of 'em are useless at anything other than straight lines.

My most exotic choice was a 288GTO.....

Reply to
SteveH

what not the passat? i doubt the 288GTO has a STD mate

Reply to
Vamp

I've tried a VX220 Turbo, it was pretty cool. I half fancied an original Elise because I guess it would be purer, but I've never driven any Elise.

Nah, they're before my time. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

How big's your drive ?

Reply to
Tony Bond

As are most Fords ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Oh yeah, the old one of course :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

And to keep the greenies happy a hybrid electric as well as a v8 and the magic energy conversion braking systems.

A 120L was my first car. A 130LR was the factroy Group B car that could put out 130BHP on carbs out of a 1.3 8 valve pushrod engine. A real monster of a car for a small engine. And a strong engine too, because they could only do a season of rallies in the west with whatever parts they could carry in the truck due to the difficulty of getting parts through the iron curtain if they ran out.

I know several people with seriously tuned Skoda 130/136 cars which are fast. I know one person with John Haugland's 1984 Ulster rally 130LR that is completley different, revs higher, produces power from lower down, the whole car is lightened as much as possible without weaking the support structures. It really moves. Apparently if you wander into the right sheds in CZ, you can find the small companies that used to be Skoda Motorsport. After VW made it a part of the german arm of the company all the old czech guys smuggled copies of the obsolete cars plans (130/Favorit/Felicia) out and set up small companies making clubman parts. So you can, if you look arround, find almost everything in the corner of a small workshop to make a genuine Group B spec engine from bits. I believe the original iron 8 port group B is not copied though, as it only bolted on instead of the early iron 5 port head, rather than the later alloy 8 port engines.

Reply to
Elder

Exactly. Purely iconic, maybe crawl out in it to show it or clean it, then put it away again when you are done.

Reply to
Elder

Why would you bother poking around in sheds in CZ when you can walk into a Mitsi dealership and buy an Evo that would snot it?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Because the hart has reasons which the brain doesn't understand :-)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Fast aren't they? A guy I work with has had two Elises and has a VX220 turbo at the moment, and he prefers the VX out of the two.

Hard to get in and out of with any dignity though, if you're 6'2 like me. There's probably a knack...

Reply to
Abo

Lots of Yoga.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Isn't that the point?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nah, he can't road test them just by lookin'..

Reply to
Pete M

There comes a point where you're just showing the world you're sexually inadequate, though.

Drive a Veyron and people think 'he's got a small c*ck and can't get it up', drive a 288GTO and people think you have impeccable taste and sense of style ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Nahhhhhhh.

Impeccable taste would be a subtle old Aston.

Small c*ck and no taste = 308 / 328 / 348 / 208 / 288 / F40 / 355 / 246 /

360.. basically any small Ferrari.
Reply to
Pete M

The 288GTO is hardly your run of the mill 'small' Ferrari, though.

It's a proper Group B supercar. Which fits nicely with the general theme of my choices.

One Group B rally car, one Group B circuit car. Lovely.

Reply to
SteveH

True, but to the uninformed onlooker it's just "a bloke in a Magnum Ferrari" or even worse "one of those Pontiacs with a bodykit" and therefore major league naff.

A Peugeot 504 pickup is a Group B car. Bizarrely enough.

If I was going to have a GpB car it'd be an RS200. Went in one a few years ago that had been properly sorted and it was a bit brilliant. Those things would have wiped the floor if GpB had lasted a year or so longer.

Reply to
Pete M

To be honest, those 'in the know' would appreciate it. Which is what counts. Something like a Veyron wouldn't even be appreciated by those 'in the know', in general. Witness the Zonda at the AutoMoto Italia - the enthusiasts there generally wandered past it, dismissing it as 'too flash' and 'irrelevent' compared with some of the more tasteful stuff parked around it.

I guess that's something to do with the Dakar, then.

Now, I did consider an RS200, but the Lancias look so much more purposeful. I'm sure the S4 would have been upgraded if ther RS200 put up too much of a fight, although the T16 was probably evolved as far as they could take it.

You've got me thinking about the 288GTO, though - Maybe I'd want a

512BBi instead, just for the F1-inspired flat-12 engine.
Reply to
SteveH

True enough. Unfortunately "those in the know" tend to be pretty sad anoraks like us lot on 'ere. I very much doubt my street cred (heh) would go up if Dervy was to comment favourably on my choice of car.

I'd have a 456 GTM in Titanium Grigio. Unobtrusive enough to be classy, useable day to day, gorgeous to look at and the engine in the right place for a road car.

Reply to
Pete M