5th Gear Mon 26th

Did anyone watch 5th gear, erm, last night now? Plato was a bit of a failure at The Race of Champions, especially against Vettel who utterley pasted him. Good old Coulthard was still keepin the British side up though, only been pipped into 2nd by Leob in the final.

As for the other bits, the new 7 series is apparently not as good as the old one, even though every part of it is better. Apparently it's not as good at cruising, as it has a smaller turbo'd motor now instead of the big old things they had before. That was the opinion of Tom "God I wish I was Clarkson" Ford though, so I'm assuming it was bollocks.

They had the new Megane on as well, I'm not sure about the looks yet, haven't seen one in the flesh yet. I'm sure it'll be like everything else new and everyone will hate the looks, then decided actually it's alright, a la the Bangle Beemers. They did commemt on how made it felt, with - "the plastics feeling like they'd been left to cure for the full amount of time". Hilarious I'm sure, on some level... This was actually something that shocked me about my 197 though to be fair, it felt a world away from any previous model Clio, like literally, Reliant to Rolls of a difference. I'm sure the Renault Sport one will be a cracker anyway.

Apparently, alongside the Nissan Quash Quish or whatever it's called, it's the safest car NCAP have ever tested. Well, I'm sure someone cares about that... Deep in the heart of "school run but don't want a 4x4 'cos they're evil" suburbia. The understeer control on the snow was pretty cool though, and the ESP. He was circling and going pretty fast, and the understeer control (brakes working to keep the wheels from understeering) was actually doing a impressive job, letting it actually turn in and keep going a lot quicker than I'd have expected. My 197 had that as well, but I never really tested it, certainly not on snow (I only drove it June and July heh), it was incredibly hard to get the ESP light to flash, you'd have to be doing some deliberate stupidity.

The only other thing was this new Audi something soft roader, they were comparing it to the Freelander, although the list price Audi they had stood at an impressive, including £12,000 of options, £48,000! A bit much me thinks, but then, why in hell were they comparing it to a Freelander? They even said the Audi was beautifully well made, it had a better engine range, it was solid and tough, they got as much stuff in as they did in the Freelander and it drove far better as well. So, the moral here was, a really expensive utility car, is better than a cheap one...

Reply to
DanB

It wasn't as close as they made it out to be, not that Lobe should have made it through as he had a big ish crash in an earlyer round and every year till now that's been a DQ.

He also said the suspension was worse.

It already looks alright just as dull as a 1w bulb.

It's a good thing to know when it randomly stops working on the motorway or just after a blind bend, it's French after all.

The expensive one being? The Audi that was a grand cheaper to own and run per year?

Reply to
Depresion

Heh, maybe, I'd tuned out a bit. I tend to find these bits of 5th Gear a bit dull, and it didn't help that it was two cars I was never going to be interested in hearing about heh. Although, did you really think the Audi wasn't expensive? £48k is a shitload of money... All that the grand a year thing proved was how badly a Freelander would depreciate surely?

Reply to
DanB

You mean the Nothin KashKhow

Looks like a 4x4, but isn't really. Looks like a planet killer but isn't really. Looks like a bruiser from a distance but is really a soft gentle girly car, should sell loads.

Reply to
carl.robson

qashqai ;)

Reply to
Vamp

KashKhow

Reply to
Elder

I'd consider them both expensive for what you get an A6 Avant or BMW Touring would do the same job better and for less.

Reply to
Depresion

Mish Mash

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Flying wildly OT -

ISTR you own/have owned a few Dell XPS systems? I'm typing this on my M1330, which is a lovely little machine, plenty fast, small and light with an awesome screen. Anyway, as I can't realistically use my PC properly anymore, I took the plunge and got from the Dell outlet an M1730 :-) Priced up on the Dell site to about £2,400, I paid £1,250 plus £80 for the 3 year warranty. I thought that was worth it as it had 2 x Nvidia 512mb 8800GTX GFX cards and 2 x 250gb 7,200rpm hard drives, possibly working in a RAID - but as I have no idea what that means, I can't tell for sure hehe.

Anyone who buys one of these 5kg, 17" beasts and tries to claim it's some kind of mobile computing device is just insane. It's huge, and massively heavy (5kg was a random guess) and I haven't ran it not plugged in yet as I was charging the new battery, but I bet the 9cell 6.6ma battery last about 6 seconds. It does make a great desktop replacement now it's on my little wheelie table thing, as I can just wheel it over my bed/chair as appropriate and use it there :-)

So, to my question, RAID hard drives...? How do I tell if my two are in RAID? Do I want them in RAID? If they're not, should I put them in RAID? Does that mean a re-install? It's running Vista Ultimate, which I forgot to look at and see if it wass 32 or 64 bit. My M1330 came with 32 bit pre-installed, and I want to change it to 64. Do I need another CD or will the Dell operating system CD one give me the option of 32 or 64 bit, and can I use the same CD key as was used with 32? Or do I need a new CD and a new key number? Someone suggested that if I contacted Dell, they'd send me a 64 bit CD for free, and my current cd key that has been used to install 32 bit will work fine.

Sorry for the random dive OT into geek town hehe :-) TIA for any help/hints :-)

Reply to
DanB

Just the one the M1210

They are more, semi portable you put it in a pickup and take it to and from work.

If it's in RAID it will probably be a striped array and it will show up as one 500 gig drive. Theoretically this is faster but it has one major problem if one drive fails you loose the data from both due to the way the data is split. As you have two drives you also efectivy double the chance of it diying. I've only ever run mirrored RAID where both drives have identical data and if one dies the other just takes over (ideal for mission critical stuff but not a replacement for a backup).

Unfortunatly yes.

It will probably be 32bit and Dell should send you a 64bit DVD if you ask for one, and yes the Key on the bottom of the Laptop should be the same. I don't know why MS is making Windows 7 in 32bit form as a quarter of Vista installs are already 64bit and having only a 64 bit userbase would simplify the production of drivers.

Reply to
Depresion

right click on my computer or computer or whatever the gay name they give it in vista and hit properties, should say if it's 32bit or 64bit

Reply to
Vamp

Cheers dude - although I couldn't beleive that I'd just clicked send asking that, as I knew full well what the answer was :-)

Reply to
DanB