944 update

*please note*

The above post was by someone who refers to the Alfa Twin Cam engine as being a "Lampredi" engine. When it was in fact designed by Orazio Satta Puliga.

However, he's right about the LT35 engine :-P

Reply to
Pete M

Erm, no I don't. The 'Lampredi' is the Fiat Twincam. Which is in no way related to the 'classic' Alfa TSpark lump.

The slight confusion came in as Fiat and Alfa switched to the new 'modular' Fiat block in certain Fiats and Lancias half way through a production run that previously used an incarnation of the Lampredi lump. I did, at one time, suspect the 'modular' block was more closely related to the 'Lampredi' than it, in fact, is.

FWIW, IMHO, the 'modular' Fiat engines are a retrograde step from the last incarnations of the Lampredi (ie. Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo, Delta Integrale etc).

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm...

Nah, you just need to try one.

Reply to
Pete M

Fuck!

That sould have been 'Fiat and Lancia'. Gah!

Reply to
SteveH

I have. In a Marea HLX. The turbo may be better, but, in non-turbo form, I rate the Alfa TSpark 8v as a better engine - it's certainly more usable through a greater rev. range, anyway. The main redeeming feature of the 5 pot version of the modular lump is it's quattro-esque engine note.

Reply to
SteveH

I never had a problem with the Fiat 5 pot, smooth, torquey and quiet.

Reply to
Pete M

I considered a Bravo HGT. I thought it was a gutless, asthmatic POS with an astonishing lack of performance. And this was coming from the 1.6 Marea Weekend I got nicked doing 107 in.

And I /like/ torquey motors. I like lazy oversized V8s. I liked the 2.3

5 cylinder in my Audi Quattro. I wanted, badly, to like the HGT.

Richard (I still think the Stilo 3dr is one of the prettiest hatchbacks around - the rear 3/4 view is far more edgy and adventurous than the new Astra, Golf or anything from Japan).

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Strange that, the ones I've driven have been fine. Not superquick, granted, but nice enough. Nicer than a V5 Golf, for example.

I love torquey motors.

I think they look great, but I'd have trouble buying a Fiat with that many electronics when Fiat is in as much shit as it is.

Reply to
Pete M

Good work. I'm feeling ever so "I wish that was me" right now :)

Reply to
fishman

Just as an after thought, you said it had been sat for so long, had it been started in all that time? Did the battery even need charging or anything? Also, i seem to recall once reading that engine that have been standing for ages, you really should change the oil asap because otherwise badness - you no doubt have far more mechanical knowledge than me tho, so no doubt you've thought of all that :)

Reply to
DanTXD

The guy I bought it off told me he'd been moving it up and down his driveway, which seemed to make sense, as he had a 911 parked in a garage. He also seemed to be in the habit of removing one of the battery connections every time he stopped the car - no, it didn't even need charging, although after I had it in my dad's garage for half an hour or so checking the lights and fixing faulty connections, it refused to start. One go with a jump pack and it's been fine since though. As for the oil, the dipstick showed the oil in there looked brand new. I don't think he'd actually had the replacement engine in there long - certainly nothing showed any signs of being used much. Thanks for reminding me though, I really should replace the oil and filter ASAP just as a precautionary measure. Oil and water mixing isn't a good idea, and if an engine's been standing for a while, that's one thing that could happen. Whatever, it definately hadn't moved much in a long time. The amount of smoke it blew out in the first few hundred metres was considerable (enough to make me think I'd just bought an absolute shed) and it continued to burn what looked like oil for a good few miles. It's totally calmed down now though!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Ooops. Might have got my wires crossed as to which car was being talked about. 944 - I'm pretty it has a new cambelt, but I think I should check. It turns out you have to tension the belt using some sort of very expensive special Porsche tool - the guy I bought the car off told me all about it; I'm not exactly looking forward to a cambelt change myself!

924 - I was *told* it had a new cambelt when I bought it last year but couldn't really be sure. Visual inspection showed it to be fairly new, although that doesn't necessarily mean much. It doesn't look like too bad a job, I might consider doing it to help selling the beast.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Yeah. I'm feeling dead chuffed at the moment. I still have this nagging feeling that something *ought* to go wrong... I've decided that something on the gear lever linkage is loose, so maybe that's it ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

If it is the Same as the 924, Handbrake levers can go, but are quick easy fixes, so pray for one of those.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Ah, if your garage is in the habit of charging you labour for changing a bulb, then clearly you'd have to approach things a little differently. My bloke will happily fix bulbs and other such tiny things as part of the test - I only have to pay for the bulbs themselves.

Reply to
Nom

Eeerrrrm, nope, A level Psychology, sometime arround 1992-4 when I was a mature student.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Well, it depended on who I got. If one person got it, I got charged. I care not; I'm still paying less for an MOT in the first place and I habitually do things like removing the dashboard and replacing every bulb in it so it lights up evenly - replacing a tail-light isn't a problem.

Richard (currently clearing condensation that was trapped in the Supra's tailgate and checking if the blue/red and white wire connector is, as I suspect, the feed for the slim LED high-level brakelight on a US-spec car - in which case, US=spec spoiler searching begins!).

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Yeah, I ment the 944, not the 924. Just thinking about how doing a=20 slightly expensive job now, might save a very expensive job later.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Never belive anything without a reciept when buying cars.

Reply to
Mason

exactly....FREE RE-TEST :o)

brilliant stuff. they can check it over, I take it away and fix it then get it back to stamp it. simple.

Reply to
Mason