[a little OT] Top Gear

just found this

damn funny

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Pretty much bang on - 140bhp - though my calculations may have cocked up - I just made 300 lb ft as 407Nm. In which case mine's got a bit less than that - it's either 290 or 330Nm.

So your T5's got close on 280bhp then? What's it had done to get that?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

snip

Actually it's c. 285/290 bhp

SAM Steffansson ECU SAM Steffansson (Ferrita) S/S downpipe with "racing" cat SAM Steffansson (Ferrita) exhaust Blitz SUS air filter ERL water injection (in the process of fitting) Samco silicon coolant hoses (have the turbo hoses too, but they're from the later T-5, when the intercooler plumbing was reversed, so I'm working with Samco to have the hoses adjusted/changed/new uns made up) Magnecor KV85 HT leads NGK R plugs

DIY mods :-

Wastegate adjusted (3 turns) Horns relocated MAF screen removed

Transmission

Factory 5 speed gearbox Racelogic Traction Control (in the process of fitting)

Suspension

Leda Springs - 325lb front, 175lb rear. Lowered 35mm. 1.5° negative camber on front. Leda adjustable dampers Front strut brace (Volvo) Polyurethane bushes (front lower wishbones)

Wheels/Tyres

17" MasItaly VT5Rs 215/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1's

Brakes - front

AP Racing calipers AP Racing 320mm discs Ferodo DS2500 pads S/S brake lines

Brakes - rear

Black Diamond combi discs EBC Greenstuff pads

Interior

Momo Race steering wheel Momo gearknob (as a concession to boyracerism!) Race Technology AP22 performance gauge

Aye, when I put it like that, I've done quite a bit! 8-o

Some pics :-

Jamesy

Never.

:)

Ditto. Although there are a few shops in my village :)

Rubbish. You know full well that most European cars of similar power, will be PLENTY faster on a country lane dash ! Clearly if you're comparing your Exploder to something like a 100bhp Pug

106, then it's not exactly a fair comparison.

It can save you plenty !

Moot point though - if I cared about economy, I wouldn't drive a 200bhp Turbo car :)

Why is an economical car uncomfortable and poor-handling ?

Reply to
Nom

They've got 240bhp-ish as standard, so he's not had to do very much. I'll leave it to him to explain :)

Reply to
Nom

Not sure really. Yes, it's LOONY quick, but I'm not a fan of big monster cars. For a remotely similar amount of money, I'd rather have something like a new Skyline GTR.

I think that owning it would be a NIGHTMARE. Imagine the cost of the tyres !

Reply to
Nom

LOL. Cheers for that. It's like made my research like totally more interesting, to the max.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

225 as standard - 240 is either the auto 850 T5-R or the 850/V70/etc/R.
Reply to
Jamesy

I'm sorry, but whats an Exploder? I'm thinking slang name for 'Explorer'? Please say it is and that its claimed as quicker than a hot hatch round country lanes :)

Reply to
Dan405

in news:bntofv$15ck04$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165560.news.uni-berlin.de, "Dan405" spake thusly:

Yup, that's right :) The Exploder, otherwise (and less accurately) known as the explorer, whilst weighing 3 tons, having a centre-of-mass 3 feet off the ground, and high-profile tyres, can outhandle your average hot-hatch down country lanes, apparently.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Ooooooooooh these are the kind of humour posts you want to save for those rainy days when you're bored :)

Reply to
Dan405

if your on about a rallye I wouldnt fancy the exploders chance..... (snowballs)

Reply to
Theo

If you're on about a 1.1 106 i wouldn;t fancy the Explorers chances, a Rallye would absolutely cream it.

Reply to
Dan405

ever driven one?

Reply to
Theo

An Explorer? No. A 1.1i 106? Yea, a 106 Rallye? Yea but it was the 1.6.

Reply to
Dan405

Well yeah, I was thinking that - though don't some of the later ones have

250, with only the autos having 240, due to the auto transmission not being able to handle the extra 10bhp or summat?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

the 1.6 has better brakes but the 1.3 has a better engine, the mk1 is more fun, loves to be ranted.

Reply to
Theo

It is, and it is. Providing that the country lane is not actually closed to other traffic for rallying. Where a tank like the Explorer gains over hot hatches on country lanes is the height which gives decent forward vision and in the torque which gives decent repeat 30-60 times over and over again, while the hot hatch driver is making frequent gear changes and frequently "fluffing" them. If I want to make rapid progress, I can stick the 'box on the Explorer into 2nd and leave it there.

I said, fastest point to point, not fastest when driven at 10/10ths which if someone were to try it on a country lane would inevitably end up with someone being injured or killed.

Think real world rather than boy racer fantasy world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Err well wrong.

Umm no, not "absolutely cream it".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Come now Theo, that's not quite true . . . because the 1.3 is a real screamer of an engine and an absolute hoot. I borrowed one for a weekend :) when a mate worked for a Peugeot dealership (in fairness, I tried most of the 106 range, heh). Oh how I laughed at the white wheels, basic trim and the 1.3 eight valve engine when I picked it up, but I was grinning when I took it back. I only averaged about 34 mpg from it over 300 miles, and it wasn't that much fun on the motorway, but it was great fun! The Rallye was _marginally_ slower to 60 than the 1.4 XSi, but on the road it felt that much quicker - and was about a grand less to buy.

I'd suppose good ones are getting hard to find because they need thrashing, and they egg the driver on, but an utter hoot to drive.

Why didn't I get one? Well, I was _really_ wanting to test the 106 diesel, but /cough/ every time I came to borrow one they didn't have any left /cough/. :)

Reply to
DervMan