A Mod!

According to my insurers that is.

I've bought a digger which can be towed behind a car. So I needed to fit a towing ball and electrics. This according to my insurers is "modifying the car" so I had to declare it to them, they're getting back to me with news about if it will cost me and if so how much.

I was going to go for the basic towing flange, but apparently that won't work because I have reversing sensors. So I had to get the expensive detachable tow ball version. For some reason there is no simply flange to detachable conversion. Why not? It seems like a doddle to do.

And I was planning to use the cheapest electric package bit apparently that won't work because of Canbus electrics so I had to get a little black box. Apparently Jeep used to make a plug-in electrical package and the socket was easy to find behind the trim. However they pulled that from the market so no easy plug-in lead available. Also they don't sell the proprietary plug to fit the proprietary socket.

I ended up clipping off the plug and making crimp connections to the bare ends.

All done, but Thule turn out be big fat lying bastards. Their instructions say "fitting time about 1 hour". It took around eight. At one point, following the instructions carefully, I found myself trying to hold 25Kg up with one had while slipping in four bolts to support the cross-member. Also one needs hands like a very small monkey in order to reach behind the bumper to do up the bolts. Special spanners are essential and despite the torque settings being given in the instructions there's no way of getting a torque wrench on to two of the bolts because they are fouled by the bodywork.

They also don't mention the need to cut off two over-long bolts on the spare wheel carrier that foul the bracing struts. They also didn't supply all the washers (plate and spring) that are listed in the instructions.

Any road up, all working now. Best invention is the trailer plug that has LEDs in it to show that the connections were all made properly. Other bad thing was that testing the connections with a volt meter seemed to upset Canbus so I had to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the PCM. All seems to be fine now.

The fitment looks pretty good. It's low down on the bumper and with the towing ball out looks relatively unobtrusive.

Hmmm I could buy a caravan.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What a palaver!

Reply to
fishman

Evidently, fitting car mats is a modification.

Reply to
Stephen Leak

Check with your insurance, if they can avoid a payout, it may be.

Reply to
Elder