A respray

Been thinking about getting my car resprayed its a vw bora.

Not had a chance to call and bopdyshops today so thought no harm in asking here as someone might give me an idea of how much it costs ?

cheers

Reply to
magicman

Assuming good condition and a normal paint, about 2000 quid for a decent job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More than the car is worth.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Aerosol cans at the ready if you wanted to respray any of your Alfa's then!

Ken

Blimey, tis a lot.

Will call around a see what quotes a get and failing that I've got a compressor and a spray gun somewhere might have a go at it.

Half the car is covered in gloss paint from some bugger vandal like a few other cars down the street.

Been pondering what to do with it, paint half of it or go for a nicer colour.

Reply to
magicman

The car cost me 6k, so no it's not.

Reply to
magicman

Remember a respray is certainly going to reduce the value of the car unless its done very well indeed (remove glass etc etc).

Ken

Not compared to how it is now by the sounds of it!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's touch and go, then.

OK, it won't cost you £6k to have the job done. However, if you're going to change the colour, then it's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £2k to have the job done - you'll need to remove almost everything back to a bare shell, unless you want to wipe a couple of grand from it's value overnight.

Even if you stick with the same colour, if it's metallic or pearl, then Dave's £2k estimate looks a bit low, especially as they need to strip off the gloss that's been tipped onto it.

I'd be either looking at ways to remove the gloss and compound the paint to get it shiny again, or look at what you get offered as a trade-in against another car. It may well be more cost effective to trade the car rather than have it repainted.

Reply to
SteveH

Won't the insurance cover that?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Long story short there not paying the full bill.

Reply to
magicman

Definitely one to think about (a trade in)

Maybe go for a bora tdi

Reply to
magicman

snipped

let me guess.......... "norwich union" strikes again ?

Reply to
bongo rule

It's probably close to a write off when you consider what they could get selling it as it is to someone who will do the work themselves. (If we say the car is worth £6k before and paying someone to do it may cost £2k if someone will pay them £4001 for it they are better off writing it off especially as they will try to work down on what they think the car is worth).

Reply to
Depresion

Assuming you've not either obtained the insurance fraudulently or claimed fraudulently, I suggest you remind them of their obligations.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, magicman wittered on forthwith;

If you're near Liverpool, e-mail me.

Remove the obvious spam trap.

Reply to
Pete M

Direct line ... bunch of useless halfwits!

Reply to
magicman

All completely above aboard, in the process of battling with them. Come reknewal time they can sod off. Been nothing but a pain in the arse.

Reply to
magicman

My Capri cost me =A31250 at Mates Rates.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Reply to
Conor

Well, depends what you're looking for. If you want to sell it quick and pray for a punter that won't notice it, I've seen a full car repsprayed for £600 (windows in and taped etc). Granted, it was bubbling in 6 months. Having said that, I've also known a flip paint job cost £3k, and that was seen as a bargain. So really, it depends what you're looking for in a finish.

Reply to
DanTXD