a ti i saw today

alright,

Saw a 620 ti today for sale in a garage.

P Reg in right proper condition, couple of stone chips on the bonnet.

Only prob is it's done 105,000 miles. Now it's been serviced every

12,000 miles (roughly every six months) pretty much on the dot at rover garages until recently when the stamps have went to more local garages (makes sense once the cars out of warrantly anyway).

I've trawled through google groups and the main point of concern appears to be the gearbox as pointed out by loads of people. I think this is a big expense to put right.

This car has to have been motorway'd daily to build up the miles so that's probably a plus point on this car.

anyway, I've got the price down to 2,150 which I think is good and I'm going with a mechanic mate for a look again tonight and a test drive.

Anyone offer any input??????

Cheers in advance.

Reply to
*** Geez ***

To be honest, thats probly a bit expensive isn't? I'd be wanting to pay about £1000-£1500 for a high miler Ti, you can get a minter for that sort of money nowadays! But it should be fine at that mileage. Everyone says the gearbox breaks, but no one has ever actually known one to break :)

Reply to
Dan405

Somone I knew with an M-plate had a new 'box at some point.

Reply to
Scott M

It's the only obvious flaw.

Not really. There's nothing "special" about it - you can get it reconditioned for a few hundred quid, the same as any other gearbox. Failing that, you can just swap it for one from your local scrappy - all the Rover Turbos use the same boxes, with only slightly different ratios.

Look for a '97 "R" or newer - there were LOTS of revisions at that point (lower suspension, slightly larger tyres (205/55 instead of 205/50), standard aircon, revised alarm/immobiliser, full colour coding, Klinger head-gasket, wasted-spark ignition (although this came before '97 you should avoid any early TIs with dizzy ignition) - you even get a central leather armrest, instead of the annoying plastic tray thing in the earlier cars.

I'm selling mine this year (silver, immaculate, low-milage) - if you're interested drop me a mail : nom at thepentagon dot com

Reply to
Nom

Nah, it's about right really. A TI for £1000 is shafted.

Remember these are dealer prices - they're automatically £500 (and then some) more than private prices.

It's actually a set of bearings that wear when you load up the diff - cos Rover (in their infinate wisdom) decided to use plastic races instead of metal. It's trivial to swap them, once the box is out. If you don't load up the diff - ie, don't spin the wheels - then it'll last as well as any other car.

Reply to
Nom
[snip]

I'd walk away if I were you.

12k is not a decent service interval for a car with a turbo, 6k is about right, and I change the oil every 3k in my Ti. The price is also pretty high. Mine is a post-revision 98 R, with less than 61k, and i'd feel lucky if I got £3,000 for it if I sold it today, even though it's in absolutely superb nick. When I do come to sell (in August time probably), I can't see it being more than £2.5k. But i'm not going to hijack Nom's sale - go for his instead of this one - you will regret not getting the later model!
Reply to
A.

Possibly, but there's no telling really - P reg is nearly 8 years old now, so that's only about 13k/year. Anyone could quite easily do that sort of mileage with loads of short trips.

Not me - I generally don't have much useful to say, but you happened to stumble across a newsgroup with one of the highest Rover 620ti ownership : Regular posters ratios in history, so there are plenty who could advise.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

really i thought you owned a ford? :)

seriously (for a lil change) whats gonna replace it?

Reply to
Vamp

Eh ?

Why on earth did you think that ?

Astra Coupe Turbo, or Volvo C70 T5 GT Manual (if I can find one !).

Reply to
Nom

Er, but it IS the "service interval for a car with a Turbo" :)

He basically has no chance whatsoever of finding a TI that's been serviced every 6K ! If the book says 12K, then that's what people do.

I do the same. Mine is serviced once per year (about 8k) and the oil is changed every six months (about 4k).

Oooh, that paragraph applies to me too :)

I wasn't planning to get rid until later in the year really - but if the right offer comes along, then I'll take it.

Reply to
Nom

I dunno, never checked! But I would never wait until 12k.

Whatever you do, stick to the price! Let's arrange in a little Ti price-fixing here, don't go selling it for a grand or something stupid!

Same here. There's a chap at work selling his Metro GTi 16v. I must admit i'm tempted. Nothing will bring back the glory days of my old one, but for a few hundred quid it'll put a smile on my face! Don't really want to 'upgrade' any more, looking to leave the country, so freeing up cash and going slower is probably the way forward - but if all that falls through, a '98 M3 evo in Estoril Blue is next!

Reply to
A.