ABS

I won't go into details but is it possible to add ABS after the car has left the factory. I am not talking DIY here but through a dealer. The car is a Rover 25 if that helps.

TIA

John

Reply to
John

I bet it would be cheaper to sell and buy one with ABS if it means that much to you.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

possible - yes, of course.

Cost effective or remotely sensible - absolutely not. You wouldn't only be adding bits in, you would be throwing some of the non ABS stuff away as well. Trade it for one with ABS.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Hello,

Yes it is, but you would not find any insurance company to cover you as it is classed as a "MODIFICATION". If the car had it when it left the factory then fine, if you add it afterwards and don't declare it you're stuffed. I knew someone that added ABS and couldn't get insured legally. Shame most idiot boy racers are not taken off the road as most of them are not insured with the modifications they have slapped on their cars. Fortunately most are only a maximum of 1.2 and with four people on board don't go faster than walking pace!

Reply to
jason

Thanks for the replies. It's not quite as simple as trading it in, it is a car we have just bought from a dealer and on their system it said ABS, Air Con, PAS, etc.. but it aint got ABS. We had paid for the car before we realised!! We are in negotiations with them now and one question I asked them was is it possible to add ABS and they said "No, not an option I'm afraid". So I was just checking other opinions.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

What the hell are you pussy footing around for then? Throw it back in their faces as it was mis-sold. If you were told or have a piece of paper (better) saying it had ABS when it doesn't they havn't got a leg to stand on.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Then you are entitled to reject the car, or seek appropriate recompense.

"The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Consumer Credit Act 1974 say that, if you can show the goods to be faulty or misdescribed, you have 'for a short time after purchase' a right to reject the goods and get a refund of the purchase price. This will include the return of a traded in vehicle if this is still available, or of the full value placed on it, if it has been disposed of."

Reply to
Lordy

Get some money back off them as it was mis-sold and keep the car. ABS can cause as many problems as it can solve (try it with ice & snow or Diesel on the road for two.)

Reply to
Scott M

Diesel? I'd have thought it no worse on abs...

Reply to
Questions

You should have refused the car as it was not as advertised

i'm sure trading standards may be interested in this

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

For two what ? Two things that can trigger and be controlled by ABS ?

If you're referring to 4 wheel lockup, not really a problem as you're no worse off than if you hadn't got ABS.

Reply to
Lordy

This is the route we are taking, sort of. It is my wifes car and she is very happy with it on the whole. The dealer didn't really 'mis-sell' the car deliberately as it was on their system (not actually at the dealership) as a Rover management car with various options listed, one being ABS. The upshot of the conversations are they are providing us with a full service (when due), A full valet when we want it, a full tank of fuel and a set of floor mats. I would imagine this has a value to us (not them obviously) of somewhere in the region of £300, my wife seems happy at this and after all it's her car.

Thanks for all your input, I shall now get my coat!

John

Reply to
John

You can brake better in snow without ABS, by locking up the tyres and pushing a wedge of snow ahead of you gradually increasing the braking effect.

Mind you, ABS or no, people still crash in snow and always did.

Reply to
Questions

If there's a similar model with ABS being broken by your local scrap yard, it shouldn't be too prohibitive. I wouldn't consider it myself as I don't rate ABS that highly (mine isn't working and I will fix it just for the MOT).

___

dp

dp (no@mail) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No... You'll only need to replace both driveshafts and hubs, both rear brakes, most of the brake piping, add the ECU, buy four new sensors (because they *never* come out intact) and install rather a lot of wiring....

Reply to
Adrian

Pah, not this rubbish again !

ABS fixes two *huge* problems - either of which easily outweigh it's insignificant faults.

Just for the record - you're obviously better off with ABS if you encounter Diesel or Ice on the road - because if you didn't have it, you'd have locked up ! It's only dodgy (sometimes) on loose surfaces (snow/gravel etc.)

Reply to
Nom

Assuming you are talking about fresh snow, and not the compacted, frozen on top type that it quickly turns into!

Reply to
Jamesy