ABS is now mandatory

Except that he/she already is. The end. :)

There are MASSES of incompetant drivers on the road - surely you've noticed ?

I have no idea.

That doesn't detract from the fact that ABS *does* sometimes stop crap people (and not so crap people - it's bailed me out in the past) from crashing.

Not gonna happen. None of these compulsory thingies have ever been applied retro actively, apart from one which I can't seem to remember at the moment. Was it rear seat-belts ?

I'd rather be still alive, than be dead - even if someone else is held fully responsible for my death !

I knew this ABS thread would cause a bit of controversy :)

Reply to
Nom

*rimshot* *cymbal crash*
Reply to
Simon Burrows

Amen brother, we are the new church of the free men.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

no twas a long long time before that - stop lights in the 1920's as I don't recall and maybe something about a speedo.

and crash hats on motorbikes, don't matter how old the bike or rider is or how long they predate the law you still gotta wear one.

Peter Hill

Three fine examples of living life on the edge :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nah ... hardly amazing amongst quality cars. (Bmw/Merc/Volvo/Saab/Audi).

Bloody amazing amongst some. (Ford/Vauxhall/Rover/Citroen/Peugoet/Nissan).

Bloody miricle on: Austin Rover.

Reply to
SDD

Yes, and it's been suggested before as a sort of extreme example.

Driver mortality goes up but death / injury to passengers or pedestrians / other road users goes down. One major issue is that the person braking / stopping too hard may well not be at fault.

I think it makes the point well, that safety devices in cars like airbags and ABS don't necessarily reduce accidents or increase safety overall.

Reply to
Questions

Yeah, and make motocyclists ride bollock naked. Bet they'd be a bit more careful then. Plus, we'd get to see just how big most big mouthed biker's knobs really are. (c:

On a serious note, I think if there was good self cancelling indicators available for bikes, they'd save a good few accidents a year.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

exactly my point :)

Reply to
dojj

with the 4wd you don't really need it as much the rear wheels will slow down the fronts and it's a lot more stable if you do lock up the fronts though you do tend to kill the transfer box though :)

Reply to
dojj

Scary stuff.

I'd hope that the compulsory ABS would fail safe, not take out the brakes altogether. If not, there will be a huge increase in insurance for those cars that did induce brake failure... Self regulating, I think...

Reply to
Questions