additional brake lights

Hi i have a Porsche 550 Spyder replica . I am fitting additional brake lights for safety. The only convenient place to fit them is behind the engine grill (car is rear-engined of course) so they 'glow' through the grill when the brakes are applied.

I fitted them to supplement the standard brake lights as these are mounted very low and being dual filament with the tail lights, not always clear to make out.

Is it legal to fit additional brake lights like this ? and are there any other considerations in fitting supplementary brake lights ?

Thanks

Reply to
ian

It's got to be legal and sounds like a really cool idea. So long as people don't think your engine has caught fire!

I saw a Beetle with a perspex engine cover and a perspex distributor cap - looked crazy at night, well cool.

Reply to
fishman

I can't see why it would be illegal and I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing to my KG having seen it on one in Germany. (Works quite well)

Reply to
Depresion

Lotus Elise Mk.1 has reverse and fog lights behind a grille :

PR

More importantly it's an additional light so long as it corresponds to the colour requirements (IE it's red to the rear then it should be OK)

Reply to
Depresion

No legal probs. you can buy hi-level Brake lights to fit off the shelf to go "on the shelf" :) for more normal hatch backs and saloons.

Had one on my old Skoda Estelle.

You know Ian, you want to be careful, they don't much go for "Cheap crappy underpowered cars, with a few hundred weight of fibreglass glued on" :)

Mind you, it's hardly the same a Nova with a Combat kit is it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You take a lot more metal off than you add back in GRP (I just wish I had picked up that old type 1 with a 356 reg just for the VIN plate as the rest was rotten)

Reply to
Depresion

in fact it is the old Skoda foglights i am using Carl, wired into the brake light circuit. i think now i will mount 2 - one each side of the grill. I heard of a nasty case in the US of a 4x4 ploughing into the back of a Spyder this seems a cheap and effective mod

Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote:

Reply to
ian

Cheap? maybe. Effective? I don't think even high level bake-lights are going to be able to increase the intelligence of a 4X4 driver ;o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Ah the nice simple dangle down ones that had to be fitted to get them into the UK.

Hows the project going? Through SVA, close to SVA, still bogged down by the manual?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Enter Steve Firth stage left saying that school run mums in Surrey need tractors to take their kids to school because some farmers in Belgium wouldn't survive without them.

Reply to
fishman