Advice

Ok I need a run about, I've seen a golf mk2 8v gti advertised, had a look around it seems all ok no structural problems, just needs tlc. Now I was wondering if I changed the engine for say a 1.8 diesel how would the insurance be affected? Would it be worth it?

Cheers

Reply to
REMUS

Why not just buy a GTD? It's more or less the same as the GTI but with a turbo diesel.

Reply to
Homer

But you won't find any for sale.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd say definitely not, unless the car is extremely cheap, the engine is extremely cheap, and you can do the engine change yourself and have the equipment yourself, or could get it changed for silly money, like £50 or less. It's not worth the hassle - it's a buyer's market, there are thousands of cars out there.

What sort of budget are you on anyway? I've got an old but very solid F reg Diesel Maestro van, 80k on the clock, recent cambelt and service, 8 months' MOT and 2 months' tax, one of the best diesels of its time, and still a much better all-rounder than a lot of modern diesels, though a bit noisier and less refined - it'll easily do 55-60mpg all long, blah blah blah, probably not what you're after but it's probably the best looked after Maestro van you'll find, and is a brilliant runner and starts first flick of the key, no probs at all.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

My Dad and I can do it no problem, we already have the diesel engine and the GTI I might get has a fooked engine so its only costing £125. I'm just wondering

Nahhh not really my thing, my Dad has a white one hes working on to carry around his tools actually!

Reply to
REMUS

What mods can I do to a diesel engine tho (i'll see if I can get some details of the engine tomorrow)? + what does an after market back box sound like a diesel, sensible note or will it chime like thunder?

Reply to
REMUS

No. THe cost of the conversion would outweigh the money you saved on fuel.

Reply to
Conor Turton

In that case then quite possibly yes - if it's a known good engine and you trust your workmanship in doing the engine change (make sure all the mounts etc. will be the same and you won't end up forking out silly money for a set of engine mounts), and make sure the gearbox ratios aren't too far out, then go for it, but get an insurance quote first. Try Liverpool Victoria, as they seem to be quite ok for mods, also Adrian Flux have been mentioned before as being cheap, but not much else.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

There standard modded policy don't like capacity change engine swaps, don't know what they are like with similar size swaps though.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Well surely a "same size" swap would just be maintenance, not a modification, unless it was 1.8 petrol for 1.8TD, in which case power and torque levels are different anyway, and a similar thing to doing a "different size" engine swap.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yeah, thats what I mean. I think it wouldn't come under the blanket mods policy, even though custom remaps, and hybrid turbos, and even supercharging NA engines does.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo