After all that...

I spent a few hundred quid on an old E30 Touring

Don't know why, it was there, cheap enough, and will probably do the job for a few months. Would rather have found a 325i Touring, but this stumbled my way.

It's manual, with no aircon.

I'm going to hate it, aren't I?

Reply to
Pete M

What engine is in the one you've bought?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Even more embarrasingly, it's the 2.0.

Reply to
Pete M

But the 2.0 version of the M20 is the smoothest engine ever though.

I have very fond memories of the one in my old E28.

I went from the 520i to an XM and couldn't get over how gruff a 4 cylinder engine was in comparison to the M20.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've not even driven this thing yet. Going to pick it up on Sunday.

My E28 was the 528i - I've very fond memories of that, but even that had "Awful BMW clutch syndrome".

I'm going from a lovely woofly V8 to a six-pot. I'm going to miss the low down torque, I can feel that already..

Reply to
Pete M

You will, but there is an uspide.

They love to rev and sound fantastic doing it. And, there's a lovely spike in the power at 4,500rpm - you can just feel it gaining a little extra go and all the while sounding great.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That's pretty good if it's in decent nick. These things are becoming sought after these days and good ones aren't that cheap anymore.

Well, I don't like the ergonomics in them - the steering wheel is in the wrong place for me. Other than that, they're not bad.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

See if you waited you could have agonised over this.

Elder

Whilst it is smoother than the smooth bottom of a supermodel, I'm not sure it's the smoothest ever. Maybe the smoothest European six cylinder? But very smooth. :)

Now I didn't know it was called the M20, but the M20 is mostly responsible for two former colleagues' desire to never run a four cylinder engine ever again.

Is the later 2.2 still designated the M20? Because that's a beautiful smooth thing too.

Reply to
DervMan

I really like E30 estates...

Reply to
Doki

Yes.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've already replaced it, with an auto 325i Touring, with leather :-)

Ahh, that's better.

Reply to
Pete M

So you did hate it?

Reply to
DervMan

No agonising here; it's got LPG. Ugh.

Richard (do you think the uberchavs will be getting their Continental GTs fitted with LPG?).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Nowt wrong with LPG. And if you LPG a Conti GT, where do you fit the can of Tyre foam.

Reply to
Elder