Air filters.

On a mission this afternoon to find an air filter for the carb on the Golf before the wee Scottish chap came to pick it up. Now, the Nikki carb on it has this stupid bloody arrangement where it has the base of the air filter as part of the carb, a little base plate with a wire mesh circle welded to it, some foam, and another wire mesh circle on the other side of the foam. This is all topped off with a chrome plate, so in effect it's like a dodgy old K&N on an Escort Mk2.

Of course, I took the foam out to blast it and give it a clean, and it fell apart. Bugger.

So I went to the local factors "Sorry mate, we don't do 'em, try the Nikki dealer"

so I went to the local Nikki dealer, who's retired and basically only opens the shop randomly. It was shut.

I then went to K&N in Warrington, who said "Sorry, we don't do foam air filters any more", which was strange, so I rang my mate who works there who confirmed it and suggested a place that's just opened in Widnes who make air filters..

I went to Widnes, found an excellent little place that makes chavtastic cone filters. Seem to be very good quality, and cheap. "Quikshift"

Unfortunately, they don't do foam filters either, so I couldn't nick any foam off them either. I am considering one of their jobbies for the Range Rover though, they seem very well made, and the factory has all the right gubbins. Cheap enough, too.

Anyway, got the filter foam from a motorbike place in the end. Just seems weird that nobody uses the foam anymore...

Reply to
Pete M

In news:42af6846$0$18647$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

ignore the link, place is new and they don't appear to have done a site.

I've got the catalogue though, some interesting bits.

Reply to
Pete M

There site doesn't exist yet, but, I do know that their mesh filters do flow very well. They don't filter very well, but do flow excellently.

ISTR that they are an almost identical copy of a Blitz SUS power, without the fitting kit in many cases (if it is the Quickshift mesh one).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar