Airfield day tomorrow

Last time I took to the track, it was a spur of the moment decision on a Clubcento day in a car that was only 2 years old....

Doing a full-on day in the 75 is obviously a slightly different matter.

Just been doing a mental check of stuff:

  1. Brake pads, whilst not new, were replaced within the last couple of thousand miles.
  2. Brake fluid has been flushed and replaced.
  3. Coolant flushed and replaced.
  4. Oil & filter changed.
  5. Air filter changed.
  6. Tyres are less than 500 miles old.

I've taped up the front lights - should I consider doing the same for the rears? (just cross-taped, not completely covered, as is recommended on bike days).

Also putting together a few bits to take with me:

Brake fluid, PAS fluid, oil, antifreeze. Toolkit. Gaffa tape.

5lt can of petrol to ensure I have enough to get away from the track and to a petrol station. Tire pressure gauge and compressor.

Obviously, food and drink will be taken with me.

I *think* that covers it - other than making sure I have an empty memory card in my helmetcam and spare batteries for it ;-)

Any other things I should be doing / checking?

Reply to
SteveH

Bring a whole bunch of wop mechanics. You'll need them. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Heh.

But that's unlikely with a 75..... if I were taking the 156 I'd want them flown over from Italy just for the occasion.

Reply to
SteveH

Probably better. THey'll be bedded in.

Reply to
Conor

why do they tape the lights? i'm guessing to stop bits flying about if hit by a stone or something?

Reply to
Vamp

Yup, that and to stop bits flying around if you prang it.

Reply to
SteveH

Clean out the car so that there is nothing loose in it.

Especially for the 75: once you get there, take out the spare wheel and jack. Check pressure on tires: 2 bar all round.

Take it easy the first laps, come in after 3 -5 laps, check the heat on the rims, check tire pressure again.

If you are not used to trackdays: always take a passenger with. He /she levels the car and will sense more quickly than you when you are overdriving. Do not brake too much and do not try to find the last second on the trak: it is not a race.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Done that.

Everything is in a lidded plastic box in the boot. Secured with bungees until I get there.

Cheers, I had thought of that, but didn't think it was worth doing.

Will do.

I've got half an hour of tuition booked at the start of the day.

I'm also imposing a rev. limit of 5k rpm, 'cos I want to be kind to the old girl. Going to concentrate on smooth driving rather than outright speed. No doubt there will be slower drivers as well as faster drivers there.

Reply to
SteveH

5K????? I used to rev my V12 Jag past that on a regular basis. The Subaru gets 7k at least 3 or 4 times a day.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Is your spare tyre ok? I probably would have checked the gearbox/diff oil levels too.

Cable ties are also a good thing to keep with the gaffer tape! When I do rallies I also take some coolant pipe repair tape with me - very handy stuff!

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing some pic/vids!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The 75 TS is a proven concept: if your engine is OK and properly warmed up (the first lap to get your bearings is fine), than 5k RPM-limit is not needed. Factory set RPM is iirc 6700 and that is fine. You are on a racetrack: braking is done with the brakes not with the engine.

A 75 isn't an old girl, it is an Alfa with an engine designed to be revved. The 158 HP are in the revs, not down below.

If you limit to 5k, you can as well go with a diesel. The 1.5k RPM above are nice to use and better still: it is a ideal way to clean the combustion chambres of the engine. It should rev more freely after the trackday than before. :-)

There are better things to do and to concentrate on than wathing a self- imposed rev-limit. The things important are outside the car: in front of you and behind you. Looking in your mirrors (and having your passenger do the same) is important for first-timers.

Driving smoothly is too, do not throw the car and brake 20-50 m earlier than you could. The most dangerous time on a trackday are the first time round and at the end of the day: the first because of cold tires, the last because you get the knack and start racing / overdriving.

Do not ever ever race a racecar (even if on paper it is less powerfull than yours, even if you pass it on the straight). It will destroy you in the bends where his brakes and suspension work whille yours is overcharged and will fail (boiling brake fluid).

Regular stops in order to let the brakes cool are very adviced. At Spa and in a road car I stop every 3 laps: even so I have had paint peeling of the rims...

Most important of all: have fun.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I would be willing to bet that you will very rarely be under 5000 rpm.

I have taken my Golf onto the Hillclimb twice now, and if a few extra revs means avoiding a nasty gearchange, then it gets a few revs. You're there to drive fast and smooth, no point in one without the other.

Or to put it another way.

Kick it's c*ut in - that's why you bought it.

Drive slow and smooth on the way home.

P.S. Enjoy.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Phone number of recovery firm, in case it goes all wrong.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Push it out onto the road and phone the AA, then....

Reply to
SteveH

You hope it's still pushable.

ThePunisher

No it isn't. Unless you believe the 75 will fail.

That depends on the regulations of the track.

Water and / or antifreeze.

*Tire?*

You have a go at me for American expressions, dude.

Bring twice the water you think you need, because it's thirsty work.

Reply to
DervMan

The Legacy TT doesn't actually start moving until you hit 5k :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

In fairness you'd have to be quite unlucky for that to happen on the track, heh.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Even cruising at 130+ or going up the strip I never get to 5k.

Reply to
Depresion