Aldi Compressor

I've just been and bought one of the compressors from Aldi. £69 quid and a big kit of air tools to go with it in the box. The compressors rated at

9.5CFM (so the Aldi website figure of 27l/min was a typo - should have been 270l/min). Duty cycle is 50% and it's not supposed to be run for longer than 15 minutes, however there is a 3 year warranty. Most small compressors like this are fairly disposable items so I suspect the short run time caveat is there to avoid too many returns within the 3 year period, although it is a proper oil lubed compressor rather than "oil free" tat. If you want an actual decent compressor for heavy use that won't die on you, then you really need to be spending £300 or so on a belt driven machine.

The kit's got a couple of spray guns in it - one gravity feed, one suction. Both guns look alright, the suction gun being identical to a primer gun I picked up for £15 a while back, but to use either properly you really need a small gun reg and gauge, particularly with a small compressor due to the small reciever and lack of excess capacity. There's an airbrush, but it's only useable with water or oil based paints, so it's fairly useless for car work. There's a load of air hose chucked in for free, which is nice, and everything is fitted with high flow connectors, which would be a few quid if you bought them seperately. Neither gun looks to be HVLP.

The other bits and bobs are a tyre inflator, a blow duster, a parafin gun and a jet washer gun. Basically the stuff you get in any cheap kit of air tools from any tool shop.

All in all it's bloody cheap for what it is - I reckon you'd be looking at near on £150 at machine mart for the same sort of clobber. It'd probably be sufficient for spraying a panel or two, perhaps even a bodyside, but you'd probably struggle for air with an entire car to do, and would almost certainly be exceeding the stated duty cycle. Obviously there's the usual caveat about 2 pack - yes, you could spray it with this kit but you'd need another compressor outside to run an air fed mask, if you don't want to be very ill or die.

The compressor is made (or more likely imported by) Omega Wolf, who own the Wolf Air brand. This appears to be their version of the same kit, minus a couple of the extra bits and bobs:

Doki

Out of interest, how's that last one work with an air compressor?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You connect up a hose, put the tap on full and the air pressure blasts the water out. Even without any pressure pushing the spray medium into the gun, you can wash things down with thinners with a normal spray gun if you set up a tight pattern.

Reply to
Doki

Sounds handy. And by using a long airline, I guess the compressor could be kept right out of the way too.

Yup, BTDT.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Its the same motor/compressor as mine bought years ago. Slightly different paint. Its been "adjusted" up to 150 psi, and runs at times all day long doing all kinds of stuff. So far its pretty unbreakable so I wouldnt worry!

Its a "proper" well built oil in sump (synthetic in my case!) compressor with crank and piston/rings etc but instead of driving by belt its turned to face the motor and is direct drive. And the motor is a powerful induction motor so nothing to wear.

The only problem was the crappy diy connectors. Easily swapped and adapted Now its got one or two of every connector!

Burgerman

Any good for spraying fencing panels with Cuprinol or whatever, do you reckon? I've got about 20 to do this summer :o(

John

Reply to
John

Fine as long as you're willing to wait for it to fill the reciever. Atomisation won't really be important so you should be able to drop the air pressure down (probably below the recommended minimum of 40psi, say 20 or

30) open the needle right up and lather it on. That way you'll minimise overspray - even with a really good efficient spraygun, 70% of the paint you shoot at a car doesn't end up on it.
Reply to
Doki

I've not got it out yet as it's in the house rather than the workshop. Does it have a basic regulator fitted to the tin outputs?

Reply to
Doki

Ah, cheers mate. I might just treat myself to a new toy then :o)

John

Reply to
John

Ooh, a D300. Nice.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Marvelous for photographing dusty dusty old compressors in dingy dark workshops!

Seriously recommended for everything else though...

See I get priorities right! Cheapest compressor possible but almost the dearest camera...

Reply to
Burgerman

One fopr all outputs

Reply to
Burgerman

Used a similar model, not as potent as the one here for just the same purpose, however I used the gunk applicator rather than the spray gun & you could blat it on faster than the guy in the telly ad with the pump up variety, would use it every time . Chris

Reply to
Merlin's Laptop

There is (was?) a proper reg/lube with 10m and 3m hose for £19.99.

I seem to have a full boot.

Reply to
Peter Hill

The reg is identical to a sealey one I have already. I expect the oiler will be similarly identical to the Sealey equiv. Just been and got one as I'm fed up of air tools needing a bit of 3 in 1 in whenever I pick them up...

Reply to
Doki