Alfa rameo GTV

Hi, A friend of a friend has had a GTV 2ldohc model for a few years now. The car has had numerous problems, but one that is confusing me is a wining noise, that increaes with revs. It sounds a bit like a supercharger. Could this be the idler pully on the cam belt? Or the alterator belt?

Thanks

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

If you don't get an answer in here, try

or
, very good forums with clever Alfa-heads...

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

Does it disappear when the radio is turned off ? :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Ha ha!

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Depending on how mechanically adept you are, either take it to a trustworthy garage and ask them, or try the following:

Firstly, determine whether or not the water pump's driven by the cambelt or auxiliary drivebelt (commonly known as the fan belt, even though they've not driven fans on the majority of engines for centuries) - if it's driven by the cambelt, quite simply slacken the aux drivebelt and remove it. Then turn the engine on, making sure anything electrical's turned off as the alternator won't be being driven, and give it a good rev. If the noise has gone, then bingo, the problem's in a tensioner associated with the aux drivebelt. No risk involved in running the engine without that belt as all you lose is drive to the alternator (manageable for a small amount of time) and drive to the PAS pump.

You could also see if there's a central bit that the tensioner pulley revolves around that remains stationary in the middle. Find a bar with a fairly thin end, and put this on there, and see if the noise is transmitted down there. Compare it to another similar part to confirm beyond a fair bit of doubt that that's where the noise is coming from.

HTH.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Cam belt tensioner or balance shafts tensioner / bearings. I would check sooner than later!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

A lot of Fiat group twin cams make a noise like that. I think the workshop bods like to put loads of tension on the cambelts which makes them whine.

OTOH the ex's Cinq Sporting makes a supercharger noise also. No idea what causes that.

Reply to
fishman

Agreed. I've driven a few of these now, and most did.

(well, not GTVs but the 2lt TSparks)

It's especially pronounced in the 145/146.

Reply to
SteveH

Cheers everyone, it was the tensioner!

Reply to