Almost there...

This Friday Charlie and I depart for our five year deferred honeymoon - overland road trip to Italy. :)

But we're taking it steady to get there like, none of this four hours to Monte Carlo Clarkson malarkey. After a "socially early" ferry on Saturday (quarter past eight) we're not due at Lake Garda until Monday, so should give us plenty of time for touring and other holiday stuff.

I don't reckon I'll have much opportunity to log on from tomorrow (Thursday) evening... so catch y'all towards the middle end of April

Reply to
DervMan

To be fair, you don't actually have a choice in the Ka.

Reply to
SteveH

Thats one hell of a LLOOONNGGGG honeymoon

Reply to
Chet

Waaay congratulations.

So which route are you taking? Lake garda is best reached through Austria IIRC, or at least via Swissland.

We'll be in Italy at the same time, I'm flying over to do some farming next week. I'll be about 500km south of Lake Garda though.

And staying mildly on topic, I'll be testing out a new Smart ForFour while I'm over there.

Reply to
Steve Firth

a SMART eh............. oh dear

Reply to
Vamp

Yeah I'm going to miss you too.

Reply to
DervMan

It's sure overdue.

Reply to
DervMan

Good lord - i never imagined you as the kind of guy who would drive a Smart Steve :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Hardly an optimised route. We're avoiding the Alps by going via Monaco. Admittedly the chance to go to Monaco on honeymoon didn't escape me.

We _seriously_ toyed with the idea of coming home via Hungary, since the capital is Pie, or so Charlie thinks anyway! :)

Hey wanna meet up? :)

Heheh. I guess properly on topic I'll be giving Kermit's cruise control a proper working over (as if the commute doesn't).

Reply to
DervMan

Thats some good honeymooning tiger ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote: : This Friday Charlie and I depart for our five year deferred honeymoon - : overland road trip to Italy. :) : But we're taking it steady to get there like, none of this four : hours to Monte Carlo Clarkson malarkey. After a "socially early" ferry : on Saturday (quarter past eight) we're not due at Lake Garda until : Monday, so should give us plenty of time for touring and other holiday : stuff.

: Hardly an optimised route. We're avoiding the Alps by going via Monaco. : Admittedly the chance to go to Monaco on honeymoon didn't escape me.

That's quite a drive in 3 days if you're hoping to see anything other than mways. Blair.

Reply to
B.G. Finlay IT Services

Good choice if you are in the Ka. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Hey you think Charlie reads this?

Reply to
DervMan

1,400 miles, including the UK bit. Kermit has done the same mileage over the last seven days, heh! :)
Reply to
DervMan

LOL! I really go for the concept of Kermit carrying four steel 4J 13" rims on a roof rack, but Charlie's idea for a roof rack involves a box full of shoes. :-(

Reply to
DervMan

Avoiding france at all costs - my route (as previously mentioned) is hull-zeebrugge, belguim / germany / swiss / gotthard / italy....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Send email to furfarm(at)hotmail.com and I'll send back my mobile number and an address. We're on the Adriatic coast but we don't ahv eguest accomodation (yet) the house is still being built. So we'll either be in a hotel or in a tent depending on the weather.

Take it easy until you get used to the Italians and make full use of mirrors, both sides. Also wathc out for "door flingers" on the streets. They are bastards for parking then throwing the door wide open.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's very, very difficult to get automatics to rent in Italy. Not for me, for SWMBO who can't work out how to use a manual when she sits in the "wrong" seat. I've given up trying to teach her.

I usually have an Alfa 156 or a Vectra, because it's pot luck with Avis. However I've tried every otehr rental company at the airport and only Avis doesn't suck. So the choices were a VW Passat Estate auto or the Smart.

Believe me, given how narrow the streets in our village are, you don't want to try taking a Passat estate through them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nah, I make it from near Winchester to 500 km south of Lake Garda in two days driving in my FoB slow 4x4. We only need one hotel stop, Strasbourg on the way south, Lake Como on the way back home.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Much hte same as mine, except we're going to try the new cut-price Dover-Boulogne crossing this year. £33 return. Given that we go to Boulogne instead of Dunkerque this time, we will probably avoid Switzerland and use Mont Blanc or the Frejus tunnel.

Reply to
Steve Firth