Alternator question

Hello, I have searched online and I seem to find different types of alternators for cars. Some are called '1 wire' alternator and there are even 'powder coated' alternators. What are these for? What are the differences?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

Your question does not seem to make much sense...??

Reply to
Burgerman

I asked what are 1 wire alternators used for:

and powder coated alternators:

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

Powder coated ones are just ones that have been painted (power coated) i think.

Reply to
Dan405

Ones got a pretty "paint" type finish. Ones got a single BIG wire for the 13.8/14.4 output wire instead of the more sensible two (for flexibility reasons. They are both the same, connected together)

The question doesent make sense these are not "differences" because you can have a painted prettyfied single wire alternator!

Reply to
Burgerman

The second one's easy - it's simply the external finish. Powder coating is a form of hard wearing 'paint'. They also seem to do chrome plated ones.

As regards the 'one wire' - I'd say it's US speak for an alternator that doesn't use a separate voltage sensing circuit. However, that particular one mentions 155 amps output, so I'd expect there to be two output wires - at least.

Reply to
Dave Plowman