And I thought my 75 rolled a bit

Want one, badly, 'cos that looks like silly amounts of fun.

Reply to
SteveH

I must be really lazy.

Suffice to say I haven't bothered knitting the link back into something workable enough to actually use.

(Another Outlook distress user, although I have been fiddling with Mint Linux quite a bit recently.)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ditto, I can never be bothered with wrapped URLs unless it looks like something I really need to see :) The easiest way I use is just to put URLs in these little arrows < > . Seems to work for everyone.

Reply to
Iridium

I had soup on Sunday. Leek and potato. My sister made it. It was very nice.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I normally use the tinyurl "nickname" feature. Mainly 'cos the novelty still hasn't worn off. Plus it's potentially great should you ever need to tell someone a url over the phone or by text (which, btw, I can't remember the last time I wanted to)......

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

There's no carriage return in it, so when you open it to reply to it, it unwraps to the full length. Which is odd. Must investigate further.

(hmmm, my newsreader warns me that you can't post line lengths longer than 80 characters to Usenet)

Reply to
SteveH

So what? Line breaks at 72 characters is still the standard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

well in reply to the picture, yeah that thing has more roll than a bog roll factory! but i'd say it was probably bout the same amount of roll as the 75 :)

Reply to
Vamp

TO be fair, I can't get the 75 to lift a wheel that far off the deck and it's not through lack of trying.

Reply to
SteveH

Doh!

That's the figure I was looking at, not 80....

I know 80 comes into it somewhere - is it the limit with quotes?

Reply to
SteveH

80 is the line limit and 72 the convention for posts to allow room for quoting.
Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not official as in 'mandated in an RFC', but RFC2396 (URI Syntax) mentions the idea as a good one implemented by a number of newsreaders (and mail clients).

Some do, some don't.

As for posting shorter links, while people *could* do it, they've already gone to the trouble of finding and posting the information in the first place, it seems only fair to me that if you want to look at it you can do a trivial amount of copy/pasting into your address bar rather than making them go through a shorter-URL site themselves.

You can always not look at it.

And of course you're totally free to post URLs however you like, yourself. That's the joy of t'Internet.

Reply to
PCPaul

Personally, I only want people to look at *my* URLs who care enough to go clicky-clicky-cut-n-paste...

Pity about all the fantastic stuff you'll be missing out on.

Aha. Cack handed. It all becomes clear...

Reply to
PCPaul

Do you mean 'clicky clicky cut and paste, clicky clicky cut and paste, "oh bugger - copied the line break by accident", clicky clicky cut and paste'? (c:

Some servers automatically redirect to error 404 pages that have their own URL, so clicking one half of a link then pasting the second half doesn't always work.

Yeah, like a picture of some rickety old car cocking a leg. (c:

See modern small hot French shopping trolleys for more details.

Listen, I don't want you thinking about cack on my hands.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No, I just do it right the first time... 8^P

Don't click it then, paste it in two goes.

Uh-oh, double the effort... aaargh!

Can't be arsed, it's one of them links split over several lines.

Got a link for that?

Well keep it to yourself!

Reply to
PCPaul

Heh, well don't go respectfully requesting that people shorten their URLs then.

This is t'internet remember. I come here for instant gratification and I read a *lot* of posts with links in, I'm sure you do too. Do you reconstruct all of them?

But it's fantastic, and you're missing out! Why would you do that?

I would post it on one line, but out of respect for other people I'm going to save people the effort of having to clean sick out of their keyboards.

It's the second time you've brought it up with me.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Personally, I tend not to click the tinyurl etc links: You don't know what they redirect to. OK, you don't know what the content of any site is until you get there, but tinurl could be g***se, for example. If I really want to follow a link that gets chopped, I reassemble the url in an editor.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

tinyurl doesn't suffer that problem any more. Go to

"Enable previews". It'll then show you where it wants to take you, rather than doing it automatically. cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Go to TinyURL, set your preerences to always show a preview, job done.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think you want the OP.

I'm just here to wind you up ;-)