And the jury is in.

First weeks drive, including one day when Thelwall was closed and I sat inching in first gear for 2 hours 10 miles out of my normal way to get to a motorway to get to work, and I have the MPG figure.

25.19mpg (and I watched the needle drop while going knowhere slowly that day).

The Celsior average including the one good run to Wetwang and a few motorway runs to my brothers in Crewe over a year was 21.1mpg

So, things should only get better and I should make quite a saving.

Reply to
Elder

I get about the same out of the Scorpio. 24-26 mpg avg over normal use.

30-33 on the motorway.

Unfortunately, now it must be sold as the beast is back.

I suspect I'm going to be on the look-out for a Pug 205 XRAD to use as daily wheels. Should allow me to save up enough to get a decent LPG setup for the Rangie. If I use the Rangie (other than for the Czech run) I won't be able to save anything.

Reply to
Pete M

I decent clever sequential injection system should be able to cope with the turbo setup, and might even be a simpler system that used when it is on petrol.

Reply to
Elder

So how much is the saving worth? The 9000 will prefer superunleaded; the Celsior, might do, might not.

Reply to
DervMan

What's 'the beast'?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Turbo V8 Range Rover....

Reply to
Pete M

Dangerous

Reply to
Elder

Cash saving on a normal week about =A38-10, if my figures are right, add=20 to that an insurance saving of at least =A3120 a year, and when the=20 Celsior sell (some clown did a buy now on my ebay auction then hasn't=20 been intouch, so I can't claim final and relist fees as a non payer=20 until 7 days have past), it should mean the aero has only cost me=20 between =A3100 and =A3300 with 4 new tyres and an MOT for a year. Plus indi= e=20 Saab servicing is cheaper and better than chainstore (nationwide)=20 servicing for the Celsior, and more convenient as he will collect the=20 car from work ad deliver it back as part of the price.

Although the Aero feels "harsher" that is relative to not sitting in a=20 pocket sprung armchair, riding on oversoft suspension, and it is less=20 harsh than the bosses DB9, and body roll is a lot better than the=20 Celsior. Leather recaros are a nice place to be when gently heated until=20 the heater kicks in.

Not the same savings as diesel would have been, but a fair compromise=20 over spec, fuel savings and price of the vehicle.

The Celsior actually drank more and didn't drive any differently on=20 Tesco 99 rather than 99.

The Aero is recommended to be run on at least 98ron, but can run on as=20 low as 91ron, the knock sensor just knocks back boost. When I filled up=20 when I bought it, it was on BP Ultimate at =A31.20 a litre (the tank was=20 near dry and the miles to go gauge said less than 10). So I'm going to=20 try T99 as =A31.08 a litre for a few weeks, see how that does.

When I ran various supers in the 900(again marked as recommended 98, but=20 as low as 91), it always either ran better, cooler, or cheaper on=20 Optimax, or then Sainsburys than it did on BP super. Texaco was the=20 worst, it ran through so fast I thought I had a leak.

My local Sainsburys doesn't do super and there isn't one near work that=20 I can experiment with anymore, so I'll stick with T99 for now, and V- Power when it is cheaper than T99. I'm not going near another BP unless=20 I have to, 10-12p a litre more for Ultimate over T99 is just too much of=20 a price hike.

I reckon, as long as they don't go closing Thelwall too often, I should=20 be able to get the monitored average on the car upto arround 27.5-28=20 within a few weeks of just commuting. The first day back at work after=20 buying it, the day before the bad traffic, I got it upto 26.9,=20 constantly climbing, increasing fastest in steady traffic between 70 and=20

90, and increasing slowest or staying steady at between 40-60 in top.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

OK, you've got my attention. Details?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Cash saving on a normal week about £8-10, if my figures are right, add to that an insurance saving of at least £120 a year, and when the Celsior sell (some clown did a buy now on my ebay auction then hasn't been intouch, so I can't claim final and relist fees as a non payer until 7 days have past), it should mean the aero has only cost me between £100 and £300 with 4 new tyres and an MOT for a year. Plus indie Saab servicing is cheaper and better than chainstore (nationwide) servicing for the Celsior, and more convenient as he will collect the car from work ad deliver it back as part of the price.

Although the Aero feels "harsher" that is relative to not sitting in a pocket sprung armchair, riding on oversoft suspension, and it is less harsh than the bosses DB9, and body roll is a lot better than the Celsior. Leather recaros are a nice place to be when gently heated until the heater kicks in.

Not the same savings as diesel would have been, but a fair compromise over spec, fuel savings and price of the vehicle.

The Celsior actually drank more and didn't drive any differently on Tesco 99 rather than 99.

The Aero is recommended to be run on at least 98ron, but can run on as low as 91ron, the knock sensor just knocks back boost. When I filled up when I bought it, it was on BP Ultimate at £1.20 a litre (the tank was near dry and the miles to go gauge said less than 10). So I'm going to try T99 as £1.08 a litre for a few weeks, see how that does.

When I ran various supers in the 900(again marked as recommended 98, but as low as 91), it always either ran better, cooler, or cheaper on Optimax, or then Sainsburys than it did on BP super. Texaco was the worst, it ran through so fast I thought I had a leak.

My local Sainsburys doesn't do super and there isn't one near work that I can experiment with anymore, so I'll stick with T99 for now, and V- Power when it is cheaper than T99. I'm not going near another BP unless I have to, 10-12p a litre more for Ultimate over T99 is just too much of a price hike.

I reckon, as long as they don't go closing Thelwall too often, I should be able to get the monitored average on the car upto arround 27.5-28 within a few weeks of just commuting. The first day back at work after buying it, the day before the bad traffic, I got it upto 26.9, constantly climbing, increasing fastest in steady traffic between 70 and

90, and increasing slowest or staying steady at between 40-60 in top.

****

So in fuel costs, around £500 a year? Not sure that's really worth it; sure the other cost savings are useful.

For my 25K a year, it's marginal that a turbodiesel makes financial sense. I have been considering chopping the TiD in for something smaller but it isn't worth doing this unless I go down the silly-economical route, which means other compromises. Saving £500 here or there is useful but not a deal breaker.

Sorry to put a downer on it. But, enjoy the Saab for being a 9000 2.3 turbo, not for being cheaper to run.

Just as a footnote, I did Edinburgh and back on Wednesday / Thursday. Including the faffing about in both cities, the 9-3 TiD returned 53 mph and a claimed 48 to the gallon. Almost but not quite half the fuel cost.

Reply to
DervMan

3.5 litre Range Rover Vogue SE, blueprinted engine with Omega forged pistons, Rotomaster T4 turbo, huge intercooler, Zytec engine management, one-off stainless downpipes & crossover pipes, Wood and Picket body mods (wheelarches, tailgate, dash, roof), tweaked suspension and a few other bits.

Murdered its auto'box last year, so I've just spent a week fitting a new 'box to it. Not something I intend to do too often. Box is a ZF4HP22 as fitted to Jags, BMWs and other big stuff from the late '80s. Turns out they can't take more than 300lb ft of torque without melting clutch bands.

Reply to
Pete M

Sounds nice. How do you intend to avoid borking another slushbox?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Using

Reply to
DervMan

I think the difference is, I'm getting to enjoy the Saab, rather than just plodding. It actually handles rather than just grips. So I have to work a little, but there is fun in that too, and it one of the few manuals I've owned that I can drive with boots on rather than just narrow shoes or trainer. Even the Octavia the pedals were too close together.

Reply to
Elder

Yup; that's the spirit.

Aie.

Reply to
DervMan

Bingo.

I have a problem really. If this one grenades, then I have the option of fitting a Chrysler Torqueflight auto box - as fitted to earlier Range Rovers, it's only 3 speed but can withstand a medium sized nuclear attack when it comes to torque levels. This would mean that I can run the engine to its full capability, instead of running it like a LPT lump. Unfortunately I've then got to think about uprating driveshafts, diffs etc.

At the moment I've got the boost backed off to 5psi, as the torque levels running more boost than that will turn the box to jelly, again.

Reply to
Pete M

So really, that would be like having two excessively engineered cup holders and nobody to have another coffee with? :)

Reply to
DervMan

I am not so sure... Ist it the same as a borg warner 65?? Used one in my Nitrous V8 sierra. It died in spectacular fashion and didnt know when to change up or down. Trev from Highpower had 3 250bhp nitrous systems on his though (V8 in an escort) and it survived years. Unlike the engine(s)...

This would mean that I can run

Reply to
Burgerman

The Torqueflite is used in some torque heavy Yank stuff and seems to survive. The A727 Torqueflite is the option I'd be going for.

The BW65 is the auto from the P6 Rover innit?

Reply to
Pete M

You're driving like a pussy.

My last 12000 miles showed 32mpg, mostly motorway, in a diesel. If I'm doing the TLGP in Hull I can get it to show 16mpg.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp