Another interesting find - BHP performance calculator

Seems quite accurate for the cars I could be bothered to look up the stats for :-)

It should have a field for driver weight factored in there though, if the driver's a big fat bastard it must make quite a difference!

Reply to
Me

It's a crock of shit.

"Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 100 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1072 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 94.78 Invalid Entry : Power to Weight Ratio must be between 95 and 1300 BHP/Ton"

Reply to
Conor

Hmm well, it worked to within a fractionth of a second for the cars I have.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Adjust the weight down a little bit then just for interests sake.

Reply to
DervMan

It just doesn't like low powered cars - but then, who does :)

Seems ok to me, certainly as good as you could expect from mathematical guesswork. Assuming a lardy 1550 kilos for the 4x4 running gear I get this;

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 276 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1550 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 180.92 0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.55 0 - 100 (Secs) : 14.97 Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.27

A run of the TI stats seems fairly accurate too;

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 197 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1350 0 - 60 (Secs) : 7.21 0 - 100 (Secs) : 18.97 Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.62

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Isn't that just the official figure, though?

Reply to
DervMan

Yup, 280PS / 276BHP.

To be perfectly honest, I know it's a Scoob and all that and at the risk of being controversial I don't actually rate them 'off the line' without a huge amount of revs and a hammer foot, which I have no inclination to do (and why I sparked the initial comments off regarding the WRX performance figures). I suspect this is largely due to the inherent problems of the twin turbo setup though, which is a bit ham-fisted and pretty much fails to achieve every major goal in its design brief.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Lordy? Controversial? Surely not! Whatever next?

To a degree that's the all wheel drive aspect combined with the twin turbo-ness. Unless you use the limiter-step-off-clutch technique, they get bogged down very easily. Okay okay at least the Impreza does.

It feels mechanically very unsympathetic. And indeed it is!

I think that's a bit strong. It does produce lots of power. It is easy to tune. Once the move I expect it's stupidly rapid.

Does it shower its internals with petrol to keep everything cool, i.e. have an enormous thirst? :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Oh the premise is sound - two turbos; one spooling up at low boost=20 providing low down power, the other kicking in at high boost to provide=20 jollies.

The problem is in its implementation - the second turbo is closed off by=20 an ECU controlled valve which doesn't open until after 4,000 revs. So -=20 when you floor it - after a short period the ECU decides to open the=20 exhaust valve and bring the second turbo to the party. All well and=20 good. Unfortunately both turbos are fed off the same intake so my=20 understanding of what happens is that all the air that is currently=20 feeding the first turbo suddenly finds it has an extra length of pipe=20 open to it and loads of room to move about, disrupting the first turbo=20 and resulting in a flat spot whilst the second spools up.

So basically you don't end up with a smooth acceleration curve, it=20 launches, pauses at 4,000, then goes ballistic at 5,000. No-one has ever=20 managed to successfully eliminate this, even with aftermarket ECU=20 upgrades. The first turbo isn't as strong as a T25 either, so in normal=20 use it isn't as flexible as a TI for instance.

Another effect of this is that when you are running on a feathered=20 throttle getting ready to overtake, if you back off the pedal and the=20 revs drop slightly the valve snaps shut and the car gives a kangaroo=20 kick (That's what I meant about them being a bit of a pig to drive, it's=20 not a 'waft around on a wave of torque' kind of car, you have to pick it=20 up by the scruff of the neck and throw it down the road). However, I have found that 99 Ron fuel has had an astonishing effect on=20 this. With normal 97 super the Valley of Death (as it's called) was well=20 over a second. On 99 it's reduced it to something like a quarter of a=20 second under full throttle. It's made the car *so* much more fun to=20 drive and a lot more flexible, especially on the first turbo.

It's astonishing bad, even on light use - which again makes a mockery of=20 using a small initial turbo to keep fuel costs down. Put it this way, I=20 reckon on one trip I used =A350 to travel about 200 miles. And that was=20 mostly motorway without dipping into triple digit speeds.

I've not actually taken any proper readings other than keeping an eye on=20 the odo, but in the TI I reckoned I was averaging 17 mpg on hard use. In=20 this I reckon I'm averaging 17mpg on light use. Again that does seem to=20 have improved on 99 but I haven't driven much over the last week or so=20 so can't really guage it well yet.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

It's a known diff killer on WRX.

Peter Hill

Well he set limits so it won't work for cars that don't have any performance to speak of. Your is very close at 94.78bhp/ton. Get an induction kit or take the spare seats / wheel out.

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 100 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1069 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 95.05

0 - 60 (Secs) : 10.76 0 - 100 (Secs) : 38.32 60 - 100 (Secs) : 27.56 Quarter Mile (Secs) : 19.26 Terminal Speed (MPH) : 70.89 Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 19.16 Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 71.72

It's based on analysis of reported data. Given a data set you can interpolate but have to be very careful when extrapolating. Cars that fall outside his data set are correctly excluded. 95bhp/ton is very arbitrary I'd have set the limit at 100bhp/tonne. Or a bit higher as one TV road testing of the Hyundai V6 Coupe described it as "adequate". Ergo anything less is inadequate.

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 165 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1424 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 117.73

0 - 60 (Secs) : 8.86 0 - 100 (Secs) : 25.79 60 - 100 (Secs) : 16.93 Quarter Mile (Secs) : 17.29 Terminal Speed (MPH) : 81.89 Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 17.09 Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 83.25

They clearly set low standards for an "adequate" sports coupe, personally about 140bhp/ton giving a sub 7.5sec 0-60 and under 16sec

1/4 is "adequate".

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 170 Weight without Driver (KG) : 1190 Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 145.15

0 - 60 (Secs) : 7.25 0 - 100 (Secs) : 20.40 60 - 100 (Secs) : 13.15 Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.68 Terminal Speed (MPH) : 87.67 Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.58 Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 88.68

Peter Hill