*Another* 'What car?' post

Hi all, looking for some advice on what to look at for my next car. Cars I've owned recently:

1978 Ford Mustang V8 302 1991 Pontiac Trans-Am V8 5.0 1998 Pontiac Firebird V6 3.8

The more observant of you might have noticed a theme. Currently in the process of selling the Firebird and looking for a replacement, don't want to spend too much this time so 6k would probably be my top end. I like a car that's a bit different, love my Yanks but not dead set on another one right now, was thinking of going for a Jap maybe? But really open to any suggestions. Not too bothered about insurance because I already have another

8 months or so paid up on my Firebird and don't think I'll be buying anything which could push the premium up!

Wish list:

- RWD

- Quick

- Good looking

- Not bothered about space or mpg, just a car for enjoying!

Would like to hear *any* suggestions though.

Cheers, Dan

PS If anyone wants to buy / PX for a Firebird...

<a>

6 grand doesn't buy a lot of Corvette, mid/late 80's at best. Would prefer something newish, fairly reliable.
Reply to
<a>

You see, what you've done there is gone too far in the other direction. Should clairfy that by 'newish', I mean probably post 1990.

Reply to
<a>

My mates formula 455 v8 firebird might, goes good! And so it should with a 8 litre v8...

Corvette????? Yes I know not another yank...

Reply to
Burgerman

Micra?

Reply to
Burgerman

Bmw something?

Reply to
Burgerman

RWD modded supra? or camero? seen them go for good money.

Skyline? think there was a RWD skyline wasn't there? or modded 200sx, MR2 turbo get a bloody good rev3 or rev 4 for that kinda cash 0-60 in under 6 should be fast enough, easy-ish to mod too. Honda S2000? they must be near that kinda cash now maybe?

Reply to
Vamp

GTO or the other Jap thing they had in PPC last month? Volvo 360 ;)?

Reply to
Doki

In news:40e47bdd$0$28254$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com, Vamp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I can get you a very clean, M reg Skyline GTS for that kinda money. 2.5 single turbo, 2wd 4ws. Done around 85000 miles, 17's, big pipe, chipped with all sorts of fuel computer malarky, but it's a nice car and it's been looked after.

Reply to
Pete M

turbo get a bloody good

easy-ish to mod too. Honda

Anyone got any good sites where I can read up on Jap cars? I'm interested in them but don't know my FTO from my GTO from my 3000GT. I like the look of the twin turbo GTO, 300bhp would be fun.

Reply to
<a>

Rotary POWER RX7!

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

z28

Reply to
Theo

How about a Nissan Skyline R34 GTT. Rear wheel drive 280hp Jap import. Good fun and amazing build quality compared to the yanks.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

the GTO and the GT3000 are the same car, just different revisions and market models.

4wd, 4ws, twin turbos, and all electronic everything. mainly Autos (if not all autos). Everything is fly by wire, so while everything is very precise when working properly, it takes aaway a lot of the driver feeling, and very pricey when it goes wrong.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Don't tempt me !

Got any pics ?

Reply to
Nom

Spectacularly unrealiable, due to their LUDICROUS complexity !

Avoid.

Supra is easily the best of the bunch, if you don't want a Skyline. You'll have to add a few grand onto your budget though.

Reply to
Nom

Only if he's got a daily-driver too !

Reply to
Nom

GTOs are unreliable shitboxes that weigh way too much. Get a Skyline or a Supra.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Good choice.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Pete M raved thus:

:: I can get you a very clean, M reg Skyline GTS for that kinda money. :: 2.5 single turbo, 2wd 4ws. Done around 85000 miles, 17's, big pipe, :: chipped with all sorts of fuel computer malarky, but it's a nice car :: and it's been looked after.

Beware, he's a scouser. It won't come with any keys ;)

Reply to