Another what car post! Sorry!

I've had my '03 Clio for a bit, and it's a fantastic car, does everything well. BUT it's frankly... boring, normal. Nothing goes wrong (lol), or I never need to do anything to it, it's more of an asset than an interest :( I just use it when I want to get from A-B.

Well, in a few months, soon after I turn 20, I would like a bit more of a powerful car, something which I could call an interest (even if that means repairing something or other every third weekend...) Something I'd want to polish every weekend, and drive just for the sake of driving. Maybe get involved with owners clubs, that kind of jazz.

I've had an insurance quote on a T5 for £1100, and therefor am looking at cars which cost under £3000, are between 150-250BHP and are "emotive". I don't want it to be too old, a convertable or a Vauxhall. Needs to have Air Con.

Just interested in what cars you'd suggest?

Reply to
felix.t5

Astra GTE cabrio? ;-)

Seriously though... Rover 620Ti, Volvo S40 T4 or 2.0T (should find a phase 1 somewhere), Merc 190E (just got a cracking one owner one in red for 1700 quid), old 7 series BMW....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Saab 900 T16S Aero get a minter for £2000 then add £1000 of FP gear to make one of the fastest point to point cars available.

Cheers Matt

**-**

190 E is a great car, but unless it's a 2.3 16 rather underpowered....

Saab 9000 Aero! 220+bhp.

Reply to
chris

225bhp for an Aero, 220bhp for a Carlsson. Whilst offering more bang their not patch on the C900's once the going gets twisty. Struts rather than the pukka double equal lengh wishbone setup the C900 has.

Matt

**-**

Reply to
Richard Jones

Which part of 'emotive' don't you understand? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

For a big car it gets me through the twisty bits better than my old 900, and much quicker turnin. It's also more refined. D

Doesn't have quite the same charm though....

I've never owned a T16S, mine have all been standard 900's. So I'll take your word for it....

Reply to
chris

Learn how to make the Clio go sideways if you already haven't ;). Learning how to catch it once it's sideways is handy too. I reckon to be having much more fun than I can with my severly underpowered Ka, I'd be looking at a Pug

106 Rallye or something RWD with more power than grip. Something like a T5 will be very quick, but I'm not sure if it would be as much fun as driving something with considerably lower limits.
Reply to
Doki

I've driven most of the Saab range and can honestly say that the T16 is the best handling Saab ever made. The difference is even clearer when you begin to extract more power from them. My 900 quite happily runs rings around

9000's, 9-3's and 9-5's on all the tracks I've ever been up against them on.

Cheers Matt

**-**

A Lancia Integrale would meet all those requirements.

Reply to
Homer

Cept the 172 is now the 182 ;)

Reply to
Dan405

But the problem with cheap, emotive cars is that they never actually complete the journey...

"If I wanted shit in my life I'd buy an alfa..."

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Isn't the second part of that something you tend to do with your third clio?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

ROFL :D Might add that to my .sig :)

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

And apart from being the Saab camp on this, I happen to agree with you.

Make it another vote for a 900 T16S or if you can blag the one on Ebay, a Carlsson. alternatively a 9000 Aero, or if you can't find one a 9000 CS Carlsson (they have 5 BHP less, but have a much more agressive lag/spool/boost cycle than the aero) or a nice Lancia Delta Integrale if you fancy wrong hand drive and 4wd :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

He said he'd be happy having something that broke all the time (or words to that effect :-)).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Go for something a bit different - late third gen Firebird/Trans-Am or Camaro are great fun, rear wheel drive, 5.0TPI V8 gives around 220bhp or you could go for the 5.7GTA. As a bonus the insurance is very reasonable considering the engine size, Adrian Flux covered me for ~£900 fully comp aged 21 on a 1991 Trans-Am (valued @ £3k). Lots of potential for polishing, tinkering, upping power etc. Most are fully loaded with air-con, cruise etc. etc. and it's not too hard to find manuals if you want to avoid the auto boxes. But then most people don't tend to share my views on the virtue of US cars (build quality - what's that?)

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
Dan Roberts

Yep, but yours certainly isn't an average 900 :-)

I did own a turbo 16 4-door saloon (B reg) for 2 weeks, not the best example mind...

Reply to
chris

No - so don't ruin it for me :D Had a pov spec 1.1i for a couple of weeks as a courtesy car - windy windows and the lot :) Coped ok with that.

Reply to
Dan405