Anti-social vehicle - test case

??

Oh well. I used to have a Mk4 16v Golf GTI, but I don't need a car living in the city any more. And when I did have it, I didn't make it look like it had crashed into Halfords, or sound like the exhasut pipe had fallen off. What do you mean by 'nice wheels' - those ridiculous oversized hub caps that these twerps seem intent on fitting?

Public nuisance is a crime. It erodes the quality of life for normal people. And I suspect that if you pulled over these particular vehicles anyway, you'd be likely to find that a lot of them contain drugs, weapons, people breaching their ASBOs, and drivers with a propensity to violence and anti social behaviour. After all - your car (and the way you drive it) says _a__lot_ about you.

Reply to
mark james

I was working with some surveyors once. We were on this road with a 30 limit on it, but where all the traffic was doing more like 50. We all had yellow hi-vis vests on anyway, and set up some GPS kit on a tripod next to the roadside. After a couple of minutes, all the traffic had slowed right down...lol

Pete

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Peter Brown

How would one go about about fitting bigger hubcaps to the present wheels?

Reply to
Dan405

Please could you clarify "rat run" ?

The laws on noise are not really very restrictive so it is easy to make lots of noise with a car which is perfectly legal, and arguably safer that way as it attracts attention to the car (noise, unlike speed, can't hurt kids and animals but it sure gains their attention).

If the car is traveling along your street, that's basically what streets are for. If it is racing up and down the street with other vehicles and/or has a pipe that exceeds the legal noise limits on exhaust sound, then it's maybe a question of doing it to annoy people or of breaking the law.

The phrase above doesn't really clarify the matter. My gut reaction is that it is driving perfectly legally along your street and that's really not something you can argue with.

Reply to
Questions

I was wondering that.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:45:36 +0100, Conor wrote (more or less):

Of course, even once the sanctions were in place, Iraq continued to be one of the top 6 largest supplies of oil to the US, as the US were buying up the bulk of Iraqi output.

Makes you wonder why they felt the need to go in and take control....

Reply to
Gawnsoft

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:29:23 +0100, "Stuffed" wrote (more or less):

That's because car drivers tend to drive into non-motorised road users even when they (the victims) are highly visible and following the rules of the road.

And, btw, road design in the UK has for decades now been more worried about stopping pedestrian access to junctions or the far side of the road than anything else.

The number of driver statements in court of 'I looked, and s/he was there, I just didn't notice' is very disturbing.

e.g. this week's newspaper article:

'...She was killed last September when she was hit by the cement mixer driven by David Bayliss.

PC Wilson said he was satisfied [the driver] had not seen [her]... "There appears to be no reason for the omission other than failing to pay proper attention, and this may have been due to the focus of his attention being elsewhere."

...[Rebecca Pearce] said she spotted [the driver] staring at her moments before the collision. She said "I heard [the victim] scream very loudly: 'Hey'.

"There would have been time for the lorry to stop but for some reason it did not. I heard a crash".

[The driver] told police: "I don't understand how I didn't see her." ===
Reply to
Gawnsoft

Wasn't that something about Saddam starting pricing it in Euros rather than Dollars..?

Reply to
Questions

Cheap petrol?!?!? I thought the '91 Gulf War was to save those incubator-bound Kuwaiti babies that Saddam's troops were throwing out of windows. Are you saying the papers lied to us?

Seriously though, what reason were the troops given for their hard work and sacrifice?

Reply to
Marc Brett

"Stuffed" wrote

In the last month I have seen three cases of pedestrians being hooted at and none of the drivers made any attempt to brake.

I wonder what the correlation is between noisy cars and aggressive driving.

Reply to
DavidR

You've got to say that someone in a car that is saying, in effect, "get out of my way or I will run you over," is basically committing threatening behaviour with a deadly weapon.

There is some slack in that, i.e. if it is on a road and there are reasons for noy being able to stop / not expecting pedestrians to be on the road just there, then sounding the horn to say "I can't stop - get out of the way" is valid enough.

Personally, I think I would feel embarrassed if I tried to use my horn to scare people off the road, as it were.

Reply to
Questions

"mark james" wrote

Given the responses you have had here may I wish you best of luck in your pursuit.

Reply to
DavidR

"Marc Brett" wrote

Is that being ironic?

For some reason it is unusual for Western alliances to liberate troubled countries. Was the fact that Kuwait has oil only a coincidence?

Anyway petrol is cheap. It takes roughly 40 minutes of work now to buy the same amount of petrol that an hour of work took 25 years ago. Add in vehicle economy, 34 minutes of work buys the same mileage.

Reply to
DavidR

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:31:27 +0100, "DavidR" wrote (more or less): ...

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and repairs.

Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.

Divide the distance travelled by ( the time taken to travel plus the time taken to earn all that money plus the time taken to look after the car)

Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it would be surprising if our cars are that fast.

(If folk are interested I'll hunt about for the actual study).

Reply to
Gawnsoft

its been modified to sound the nuts, straight 6 sex, I would be happy to have that hooning it past my house, I love it when I sit here and hear a V8 or 12 screaming past, you should be pissed off with 1200cc 4 pots with 12" exhausts...

Reply to
Theo

was hangin about with the boys once upon a time, and we found a sodding great flashlight and 2 hi vis vests stashed in a hedge, we spent the next couple of hours pulling cars over and dissapearing, its amazing how long some of them stayed at the side of the road waiting.

Reply to
Theo

Quite a few years ago, I went on a geography field trip to Malham in the Yorkshire Dales - part of our project was to try and gauge roughly where people had come from and plot them on a map. To do this, one method we could use is with car tax-discs - in that they have on them the stamp of the post-office where they were issued - which could be used to estimate roughly where the car had come from that day. On the day we went, the car park and overflow carpark was packed out - with a few people not quite in designated parking bays because there wasn't much room. Cue my entrance with clipboard, writing down details of where tax-discs were issued - and some bloke approaches as I take the details from his car, and seems very concerned about the possibility that I'm just about to issue him a parking ticket! There I was, dressed in 15-year-old's scruffy clothes (not exactly a traffic-warden lookalike) - but he needed quite a considerable amount of reassuring that I wasn't going to ticket him.

Reply to
Richard Bullock

He's referring to the liberation of Kuwait.

Reply to
Simon Proven

Then they should get company cars.

Reply to