Any opinions on a Honda Prelude around 195/96?

yeah i looked at some and liked them, early ones rust but after 1990 there meant to be ok except for rusty boot lids

2.2 vtec see's 0-60 in just under 7 to and 4WS is meant to be excelent
Reply to
Vamp

Time to consider what next after the Saab. Fancy an Alfa 75 or 33, but widening my Scope a little.

The 4th gen Preludes seem to be coming down in price a little.

Are Hondas as reliable as they are claimed? Prelude looks cool, even the older 2 and 3 gen models have fairly tidy interior layouts (even if they appear to rust like a skoda and have all the cosmetic exterior appeal of a door wedge). And parts shouldn't be to difficult to obtain (standard or upgrade, not ricer).

Fuel economy should be way better with a decent vTec engine with performance should i choose to use it, without having to face the ricer tag every time I drive it unlike a civic.

Opinions?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

If looked after, yes - like all cars they need servicing, at this age possibly every 6,000 miles.

Heh, erm, a bit, 80s? :)

A boss of mine ran a series of Preludes, reckoned nothing could come close to the blend of smoothness and performance without going to five or more pots. His driving style was kinda on-off-on too, so was never especially kind with fuel consumption, but managed significantly less with the Golf V5 pantsmobile he had...

-- The DervMan

DervMan

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo slurred :

I have one of those. A '93 K reg, 2.3, 4ws.

Pretty much. I've had to replace the lambda sensor in mine (just gone over 100k), but that's pretty much all I've done in 3+ years, except consumables, and that seems to be pretty much par for the course.

Parts are slightly harder to come by than for european models, but a lot of them are the same as used on Accords, so there are lots of pattern parts and bits in scrapyards.

I tend to drive mine pretty hard, and average about 32. I've had it down to 25 when really ragging it, and I suppose it's a bit better on the motorway, but I don't use it for that very often.

The 2.3 is a pretty good engine - it'll pull in 5th from about 20mph (i.e. tickover), and revs quite happily to over 6000. Very smooth for a

4 cylinder. That said, I'd go for a 2.2 VTec - they are noticeably less torquey at very low revs, but obviously quite a bit quicker if you cane them.

The handling is very good, grip is excellent, although the ride is quite firm and probably not to everyones taste. I think the 4ws is pretty good, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. The automatic aerials all pack in (as on accords of the same age).

*cough* Mine will be on sale shortly, after I've re-MOTed it - I need an estate (expect request for suggestions shortly....)
Reply to
Albert T Cone

no probs, the Saab gets an oil change every 3k miles. The rest as when I see it needs doing.

Don't need anything like the lastest flappy paddle gear shift type stuff a straight 5 speed manual is perfect.

nowt wrong with 80's mate. only one of the 3 cars I've had has been 1990

+, and it was the cheapest, to both buy and run.

Cool. The Saab is OK, but to really enjoy it, you need to flog it, with it being an old fashioned laggy T3 turbo, that drinks fuel, otherwise it is a bit dull and flat.

a nice 2 litre built properly, in a smallish coupe (I still consider the Prelude smallish) would do me nicely, especially if I can find a vTec one. Got to be better than average 27-29 to the gallon.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Rightio!

The automatics are nice, but probably expensive if they need fixing.

Aye, but was everything wearing a sticker that says, "electric mirror" on the control? :-p

Aye, it's an older style turbocharged engine... nice!

Easily, I averaged just over 42 from his 2.2! :)

-- The DervMan

DervMan

Ah see there is the magic work. Worth spending a couple of grand on a mid 90's vTec Prelude and saving money in the long run.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Simple, Volvo T5 or if you are looking for newer Saab 9-5 aero.

Not a lot of choice unless you fancy one of the jap import 4x4 estate specials.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hmm, sounds perfect for what I want Nice one.

I know about things like arials going, one of the first things I replaced on the Saab, although it bugger up AM reception (and liked to listen to virgin sometimes), so I might try a windcreen mounted stickon one if I get something with a dodgy antenna, or even a small discrete rubberduck like your grandad had.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Pussy ;)

Reply to
Dan405

Well, the T5 is a possibility, but an outside one - I'm looking for something quick, tough, practical and reliable. Also prefferably not too expensive. I did consider the mondeo v6, but they don't seem to be _that_ quick. I'm currently favouring a Legacy 4-cam turbo estate from somewhere around a '94 vintage. They seem to keep going and there are quite a few around for under £2k.

I'll probably do a proper post nearer the time, but anyone have any experiences with them/things to look out for, and or alternative suggestions?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Mitsubishi Galant VR4 you mean|????? niiiiiiice...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You, Sir, drive like a girl.

Reply to
SteveH

Not necessarily, maybe he had an Ecotec valve...

Reply to
Dan405

Bwahahahahaha.

Reply to
SteveH

I did this car, for sure! Mind you, to be honest driving from Norwich to London with the boss half asleep next to you, it's not difficult to get a splendid economy result. His Golf V5 would squeeze just under 40 mpg too.

Reply to
DervMan

Heh, says the chap who's too scared to meet up and be toasted by a Ka! >:-)

Reply to
DervMan

Well your choice is very, very limited then !

Legacy and Volvo T5 are pretty much your only options. The Impreza hatch is sort of a small estate I suppose...

406 V6 Estate carries 200bhp.

That's cos they're not. At all.

:)

Good choice, but they truly are the epitomy of bland.

Quick estates for reasonable money, are very few and far between !

Reply to
Nom

LOONATIC running costs though.

They need the diff-fluid changing every 3000 miles or something, and all the Active Yaw Control gubbins makes them very complex. Most of em are Autos too, and it's a crazy "learning" box - take out a mortgage if it breaks. They're very big and very heavy and they've got 280bhp - you'll go through tyres and brakes like they're going out of fashion.

Reply to
Nom

Yea, get that one, bound to be the best :)

Reply to
Dan405