Anybody want a cheap modified MX5

I've had it. Yes, I like MX5s (otherwise I wouldn't keep buying them) but seeing that this thing has just sabotaged its next trackday outing, fortunately before I booked that, it's got to go.

Anyway, details are:

1989 red UK-market MX5 1.6, red with white hardtop, 15" Mazdaspeed wheels (v. rare) fitted with road-legal trackday tyres (Federal SS595RS), bucket seat with harness for the driver, GAZ coilovers, Jackson Racing exhaust. Showing 110k miles but had been fitted with a replacement used engine just before I got it (usual crank nose failure). MOT until March 09 IIRC and tax until March/April 09. Currently has a rear strut brace fitted and hence no spare wheel, but the wheel is cluttering up the garage.

The only issue with it is that the battery mounting bracket has snapped but that brought on a reality check that suggested that maybe I should just buy something with a little more power and similar handling instead of farting about with this car.

Up to here, I'd like to see around 1100 quid.

Also available for this car is an almost complete[1] Jackson Racing Supercharger kit which should up the power to around 150bhp, plus an Apexi four-branch manifold. The S/C has just been refurbished by Mr Fast on mx5nutz, who's got a rather good reputation there for doing exactly that.

1750 with all the bits, which you can't buy this cheaply if you want to buy them separately. [1] You'll need a belt and the two idler pulleys for it, both available from Moss. Both the old belt and the pulleys are clucked.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

... and I forgot to mention that I've recently had an LSD from a 1.8l import fitted, complete with slightly higher gearing (4.1 instead of

4.3).

And here I forgot to mention that the car also comes with louvered headlight covers (not yet fitted) to direct at least some semblance of cool air into the engine bay.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Humm, that's hardly a major job, is it?

Does 'around', equate to 'a grand'?

I must, I must, I must... (1)

(1) The VFR is up for sale at the mo - how long would a small deposit hold this for it I were to take a chance on her not lobbing me out if I bought this?

Reply to
JackH

No, it's not if you have access to welding gear. I just saw myself sinking a lot more cash into the car and decided to pull the eject lever.

The problem is that instead of turning this one into a more powerful trackday shed, get the paint problems sorted etc, I could just /buy/ a more powerful trackday shed and save myself some time and money. Plus, the insewerants would go a bit silly if I bolted on all the shit I wanted to bolt on, so again I can insure something more powerful for similar dosh or less.

A little more. But if you don't want any of the seats and bring your own driver's seat (TBH I'm not sure if you fit in one of the buckets), yeah, I can do a grand.

What's your timeframe on selling the VFR? Obviously I wouldn't mind holding it for you for a little. Hmmm.

'ow much for the VFR again?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Humm... it doesn't have to be that way - I can possibly get it welded for you for the proverbial 'drink', or at least somewhere in that region.

Ok, a little more info on the seat, as in make / model (if you know what it is), and condition, please.

Bottom line is a bit less than that.

I've done all the work to it, got it spot on and now find myself being a cold weather wuss. Rode it earlier in the week and decided 'I can't be arsed with this', and tbh, I'd rather free up the cash in it to get on with other projects etc, such acquiring this van when the n*****ts selling it finally gets a duplicate logbook, and maybe getting my mits on the Passat salvage.

Reply to
JackH

In article , Timo Geusch says... Plus,

Are you sure? My 2.8i Capper had a shitload of performance stuff on it,=20 all declared, and was only =A330 dearer than a virtually standard 2L=20 Laser.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Yes, I have some idea as to what the baseline is and how much I had to cough up already for the existing mods. The s/c isn't going to help.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

They knew it would spend more time in the garage being repaired than on the road, hence the lower risk.

HTH.

;-)

Reply to
JackH

Fair enough.

From where I'm sitting, sounds like it needs a respray and this welding done.

The supercharger etc, can be someone elses problem. ;-)

Aye... and I can't be arsed. ;-)

I'll let you know if the bike sells...

Reply to
JackH

ROFL.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

It might need a respray, I've driven it without one and I didn't have the feeling I needed a false beard, but then again if I were to keep it I probably would throw some paint at it.

Here are some photos to wet your appetite, including a photo of the offending item:

Timo Geusch

Some of my most reliable and visually offensive cars have been red and faded like that is.

That battery thing will be easily sorted.

'My Eyes!' ;-)

The wheels I reckon would look better if the centres were black.

The roof... probably better if done red to match the car.

Anyone know a good classic insurance website that does online quotes???

I ought to get one of those given the situation with the Passat...

Reply to
JackH

Before I crashed, I paid £194 fully comp, 7k miles, agreed value £2000 on the blue MX-5 without immobiliser, parked on the drive. The insurer was Equity Red Star via Adrian Flux. No problems getting them to pay out after a claim either.

hth

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Ta

Quotes I've had on other stuff recently indicate I'm probably looking at a

JackH

Oi! Buggeroff.

Well, that's what the originals looked like (minus the Mazdaspeed stickers, that is). And they're also the correct red already.

Actually if I were to get it resprayed, I'd probably get the roof done in dark grey or black.

Not me guv, they've always been very unreliable for me.

Quote or car?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ewww. Flux. Wouldn't touch them with a used bargepole, though.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Just want a vague idea what the damage (no pun intended), is likely to be if I did.

The former, methinks.

Reply to
JackH