Anyone building a locost...

or otherwise looking for an engine that can make a bit of noise and power?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Now that would make a very nice hotrod engine.

Reply to
carl.robson

Here's what would happen if you posted this on Locostbuilders.

All the people who had never driven a se7en before would all go googly eyed and start dreaming of the massive power and torque from this engine. All the people who had driven a se7en would immediately think 'huge understeer' followed by 'mahoosive oversteer'.

At this point the thread would split in two. The car engine fans and the bike engine fans. The car engine fans would all rattle on about torque and driveability and the bike engine fans would counter with the words 'soundtrack, 'weight' and 'sequential.'

Me, I'm in the latter camp.

Monster engines are great, but put them in the front of a seven and prepared to be annihilated by someone with a Blade/Busa/R1/ZX14 who has a strange ability to get round corners better and can lay the power down into the bargain.

In the back of an Ultima or something else a bit weighty and with some monster boots to give it a bit of traction - that's a different proposition.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Puff, get a proper engine in there blah blah, reverse, blah blah, torque etc. etc.....

I'm in the "around £50" camp, if it costs more than £50 to replace when it goes pop, I'm not interested ;)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

I'm in the "around £50" camp too.

Well, truth be told, my engine cost £125 off Mr Westgarage aka Minitici Doug. That does have carbs, all electrics and all wiring though and included delivery and race winning technical support.

I'm with you regarding the cost, but you already knew that though. ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I think I've mentioned this before but the one my mates dad has definately has reverse, and apparently can use the gears like going forward in reverse, so, assuming I'm correctly remembering that it's a six speed, it has 6 gears and in theory the sane top speed going backwards - although I imagine there will be a difference caused by the aerodynamic differences. Not that it's aerodynamic at all when going forward, being a Seven clone (Se7en? Is that the name for a Seven clone?).

I sat in a Caterham back in the summer, it had a 1.8 K-Series engine and slightly bigger wheels than normal. It looked really very like this one -

and was surprisingly comfy :-)

Reply to
DanB

I've just got into the habit of typing se7en. Caterham get all sniffy about people calling their looky likey cars any whole number between 6 and 8 so by and large, people type se7en. Regarding the comfiness. If you fit, you fit. If you don't fit, you really don't fit.

;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Bob Sherunckle" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If Austin still existed, they'd be getting sniffy at you, since that's how early Minis were badged.

Seriously, it looks a bit... up-yourself.

Reply to
Adrian

That's ok, I can live with that,

If you ever met me in my real shambolic life with my home built shed filled with cheap tools and my ugly little plastic car, I would hopefully come across as not terribly 'up-myself'.

Regarding the mini - yes, fair point.

I promise never to type the word se7en ever again.

Bugger - I've done it again ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Bob Sherunckle" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

am i the only one who thinks its a shame the seller never got to put it in their RWD mk3 fester?

If done properly (ie Q car style) that could have led to some real neck twisting "where the f*ck is that V8 I can hear?"

james

Reply to
jamesd1974

Am I alone in thinking that having his shell nicked was a pretty piss-poor excuse? Mk3 fester shell must be easy to find, surely? I'd bet on "discovered it's actually a lot of work to do", and lacked enthusiasm - pity, but understandable.

Reply to
Clive George

After he'd put a Rover V8 in his Punto he probably decided he'd done the whole V8 shopping trolley thing to death and weighed in the Fester shell...

Agreed it would have been a laugh to see it done.

I met a chap at a Sprint once who had made a mid Saab 2.3 Turbo engined Corrado. It was obvious that a fair bit of work had gone into it, but it was pretty rough.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

He isn't lying, the BobType1Locost is definately an 'acquired taste' looks wise hehe :-p I thought it was pretty cool, but I suspect I'm in the minority...

I don't really get your 'up yourself' comment though? If Bob was a Seven owner and refused to see any clone being called a Seven, then maybe, but as it is it's just an easy way to distinguish between them really.

Reply to
DanB

Did it do any good? If it didn't it really wasn't worth the effort.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Correction the INSANE top speed going backwards.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It wasn't amazing but it certainly wasn't all that slow. ISTR it getting under 100 seconds at Kames, which was quicker than a Boxster S and MX-5 and all sorts of other things on the day but a fair way off the fastest stuff.

It passed scrutineering but would probably have needed more work to get an MOT so I guess it was partly about getting a chance to drive it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I've driven a seven, with a K series. Huge understeer followed by mahoosive oversteer. They're ace.

I reckon that engine wouldn't be that heavy, and they're 380 bhp ish without any forced induction when set up for refined merc use. I bet it's not that heavy either (yes, compared to a K series or a bike engine but as V8s go)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

There's a bloke on ClubGTI building a twin 1.8T Corrado...

Reply to
Doki