Anyone had any experience of...

...chipping a VW 1.9 TDi lump, namely the 90bhp one fitted to the 1994 onwards Mk3 Golf.

Seems you can get around another 20bhp and a slab of extra torque, just by fitting one of these new fangled 'tuning boxes'

So are they any good, do they do what they say they do, and if so, do they do it without potentially trashing the engine etc.

TIA

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

JackH ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Would a diseasel Golf that early be electronically injected?

Probably.

Possibly to the first two, although the last would depend on how much you use the extra power.

If it's just a plug-in box, a chipswap, then it can *only* make a difference by lobbing extra fuel in, unless the boost is electronically controlled too, which it won't be on a 90bhp Golf of that age.

Surely it'd make more sense to get shot of the Golf and buy a car that does what you want, instead of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

Reply to
Adrian

I'm pretty sure it is... the 'TDi' stands for 'turbo direct injection'.

Feels like a HDi, as in pulls from absolutely sod all revs, as things stand.

I'd hardly call it a 'sows ear' - very impressed with it, I am.

Just seems a bit rude not to extract a bit more poke out of it, (if it can be done reliably), if it's just a case of plugging in another module.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

JackH ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mmm. Even if it did, that wouldn't necessarily imply an electronic injection pump. Besides, TDi normally stands for Turbo Diseasel intercooler.

The "i" might stand for injection, if marketing were desperate, since all diseasels are injected.

Furry muff. I was totally unimpressed by either of the Mk3 GTis I had back then. The Mk3 VR6 I had was better, but certainly Not All That.

All it's going to do is lob more fuel in, and make more power the unsubtle way. It'll be thirstier and smokier.

Will the engine take it? Will the 'box? Will the drivetrain? Who knows. It's a ten year old car.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

Heck, even my old Montego's one of them!

Reply to
Guy King

Well not in this case - it stands for what I said, because I did my homework before posting.

Yes, but they're not all 'direct injection', are they...

'Turbo Direct' doesn't really sum up the point of one of these, give what 'TDi' stands for, does it.

This is why I have bothered to post on here, asking for people who have experience of these to provide answers, rather than others posting questions (most of which I have already considered, and which I am hoping voices of experience will answer)...

But ta for the help anyway.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I'm currently on the trail of another for work... save the Golf as a back up etc., if I do land it.

Either that, or my dad will have the Montego, in which case his Maestro Diesel will be up for sale - 54k from new!

Shame about the lack of power steering

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

It's easy to retrofit. Swap the rack and bolt the pump onto the existing carrier. Bit fiddly round the rack bolts, but not hard.

Reply to
Guy King

Exactly the same rack as the Montego, yeah?

Or do I need to get a Maestro specific one?

It's his only complaint with the car - the fact you need arms like Arnie to parallel park it etc.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, "JackH" slurred :

Yup, you certainly can.

The VAG 1.9tdi was quite advanced for it's time, with electronic boost control. The difference between the 90BHP lump and the later 110 was the introduction of an intercooler - the gearbox and engine internals on the

90BHP TDi are the same, and are quite capable of handling the extra torque.

The increased boost and fuelling, without the prescence of an intercooler does increase the thermal loading on the engine, but the net effect for a

25% _max_ increase is virtually negligible. It's a good engine and a prime candidate for chip-tuning, IMO.

Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Albert T Cone ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

My ghast is truly flabbered.

Go for it, Jack. But it might be worth thinking about that 'cooler.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok, many thanks for that.

Next question in that case: Intercooler - easy enough to retrofit I presume? If so, any recommendations, if you go for something not VAG?

My mates are all into Nissan 200SX Turbos (S13 models), and the holy grail in those circles, is a certain Volvo or Saab front mount!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Aren't most car badges?

I thought *most* diseasels prior to the more recent designs were indirect? With an injector going into a pre-combustion chamber in the head, rather than the manifold like on most petrol injection systems, whereas direct injection is straight into the combustion chamber?

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed.

That isn't a true indirect. Indirect injection is into the manifold, usually pointing at the back of the inlet valve.

Even those in the ante-chamber are still subject to the full pressure of the combustion chamber, although they are generally called indirect.

It's all just a poor use of terminology to make the punters think they are buying something better.

There are a lot of benefits to using direct injection, and of course some negatives too.

Having done a little searching on Google, I find some contradictory comments. Indirect is quieter and allows for better swirl, and air/fuel mixing. This is the basic principle for using the ante-chamber (also look up Honda CVCC). Direct is noisier and doesn't burn evenly.

Read more literature from the manufacturers and you get exactly the opposite being quoted. Direct injection is used to run quieter and increase economy.

This does not comply with the known limitations of each system.

Ah, a bit further searching reveals this.

Of course my favourite brand, but if you have broadband you'll find this fascinating.

Andy Hewitt

only on a petrol

Reply to
Jon

The message from "JackH" contains these words:

The rack's the same - but the arms are different, I think. Better to get a Maestro PAS rack in the first place. The pump can come off either.

Reply to
Guy King

Certainly true, but what you have here is a naming system that is different on two engines. If you had an ante-chamber system on a petrol engine it would effectively be a direct injection system.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Curious piston crown.

Reply to
John Laird

Yes indeed. Seems to work though if you look that the reveiws this engine is getting.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Actually, not quite. This engine is essentially the same as the current

1.9. Okay so the new 1.9 has PD technology, variable vane turbine blades, blah blah, but the 1.9 TDI back in '94 has direct injection.

It's one of the earlier examples of direct injection technology. But not by far the earliest!

Reply to
DervMan