Anyone know how much a used Lexus V8 engine would be?

Just making potential plans for a certain japanese car with a known appetite for headgaskets. The Lexus engine is pretty bulletproof and can be dropped in with only very minor changes - a Soarer sump, transplanted ECU etc. The Supra autobox /is/ the Lexus box.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

that's pretty much like asking how long is a piece of string isn't it? i reckon £3-4k depending on condition/millage

Reply to
Vamp

I just want the engine, not the whole car ;)

(Seriously, I could buy a Soarer V8 or LS400 for that sort of money - and would, except Soarers are ugly and MA70 Supras aren't).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

You may be better going down the route of getting an entire car possibly one that's been written off in a rear end shunt as a lot of the modern cars require the entire loom to be transplanted including the clocks etc. for the ignition and immobiliser to work. You can also strip any other good parts and sell them on ebay to recoup some of the costs.

Reply to
Depresion

If you use one for a conversion I'd suggest going for a front cut so you get all the computer and other bits you'll need.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Yeah - though the only conversion I can find uses a custom computer - I reckon that's going to be big bucks to spend on a 15 year old banger.

I don't mind if say, my engine blows up, it'll cost £1,500 to £2,000 to put right - decent bottom end rebuild, top end. If the body on the Supra is good, although that exceeds the value I think it's worth it. However, I'd expect to be able to pick up a used LS400 lump with about 150K on it for £600-1200 depending on source, ancillaries etc. They're supposedly good for

400,000 miles in most cases.

I'm sure a salvage Cat. D or unrepairable LS400 wouldn't fetch more than £1500 - trade price for even a decent BMW 7 series is about £2K and the Lexus is one of those great unknowns. Of course, I'm not taking into account the Wigger factor and bling of the LS400 for the Ali G types - notorious for spending tons on shit ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Get an import front cut from Japan. Cheap as chips over there. The lexus V-8 is strong as hell. While Chevy was bragging about it's 4 bolt mains the Lexus had 6 bolt mains.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You're still alive then ?

:)

Reply to
Nom

Yeah! Just been busy, changing computers (now completely over to Macs, but I had a lemon of a PowerBook and didn't like to get into newsgroups without a reliable machine). Also, I'm not really chasing after random cars so much, so I've had less to talk about. My Beetle just 'works', you know, and the Supra... I can't afford to do very much exciting with it at the moment ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Nooooooooooooooo..................... !