Anyone know how to stick a Rover V8 in to a 2.4 lwb frontera?

my 2.4 frontera could do with a bit more get up and go i would like to fit a rover v8 engine or a straight 6 from a carlton has anyone done or know of anyone that has done this?

Reply to
crawfie

Sell it and buy a decent car.

All Fronteras should be crushed.

Reply to
SteveH

As should all Alfa's..............about on a par with a Frontera I would say!

Ken

The chassis of a Frontera can barely cope with what little power it has.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It could be done, however if you are not going to DIY then you would be better served selling the Frontera and getting something with more grunt as standard.

Reply to
Geoff

Sell the Frontera and get a cheap old Range Rover. Better kit, better class, and a V8.

Reply to
Elder

It would not be that much of a PITA.

I would swap the Range Rover engine and gearbox, probably the easiest way, and you get permanent four wheel drive and a gearbox designed for the torque of the V8.

In the real world however I would never have brought the Frontera in the first place ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

It seems to me that if you need to ask you shouldnt be doing it in the first place.

Reply to
Burgerman

That may well be true but how are you going to find out if you dont ask !

Reply to
Geoff

But are the axles, etc, designed for this sort of torque?

They are very cheap. Rightly so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From what I remmeber the rear is a Dana rear axle, even the poverty spec ones can take a fair bit of torque. No idea what the diff is in the front

I quite like the styling of the LWB Frontera, that is however it's only redeeming feature.

Reply to
Geoff

After the Diesel Pajero my dad bought wouldn't do more than 40MPH (no matter what he tried or how much he spent), he sold it and bought a petrol frontera. Rough, agricultural, and plasticy. Horrible old truck. But he seems to have grown to like it.

Reply to
Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) wittered on forthwith;

Too right, one went through my local auction last week. "N" reg, SWB, petrol, MOT'd, £90.

Reply to
Pete M

Sounds like a nice project.

Find an old Rangie and remove the chassis / engine / transmission intact. Use a tinopener to peel the bodyshell off the Frontera (shouldn't be hard). Place part B over part A and use a few self-tappers to attach firmly.

Alternatively just crush the Frontera. At least you'll be rid of it.

Reply to
dingbat

*has old Rangie for sale*
Reply to
Pete M

very true I could sell the Frontera and get a cheap old Range Rover. but it would'nt be has much fun as a fronty with a V8 under the hood. Ive already done a similar project many years ago with a lada I fitted a fiat tc 2000 into it i can still see the faces on the boy racers face's as i tore by them in what looked like a stock lada lol

Reply to
crawfie

See, now that is worth doing. Always worth doing, But the fronty doesn't even the inverted snob value that the Lada had. Ladas are now so rare they are sought after.

Reply to
Elder

Over here you can't give a Lada away.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

And easy, just nuts and bolts.

That explans the Mahindra you were thinking about ;-)

Only by those who need the parts.

Reply to
Geoff

About 10 years ago, there was actually a few businesses buying Ladas, and selling them either as cars or spares, back to Russians. Suddenly they were earning, and could afford a car, and the cheap ex german models hadn't arrived yet, and there weren't enough Ladas in Russia for those who could now afford a "new" one.

Reply to
Elder