anyone know of a source of air reading thermoswitches?

Looking for something to read the intake temps after the intercooler, but rather than just pass a reading to a gauge, I want to use it to operate either a fan, or water injection.

I know that a thermoswitch used in liquid is used in the radiator to operate the electric fan, but what would you use in an airstream.

Something adjustable would be good, so I can set the exact temp.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Dave Plowman (News)

You will need something with a sensor having an open element, unlike the closed versions used for water.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

That is why I was asking rather than use a rad temp switch and wonder why it wasn't working ;)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

oh, that might work nicely. Wonder if you can space the sensort away from the circuit board, as I'm going to be mounting it inside the intake and eventually it might get hot enough to weaken the solder.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Can't see that working unless you have a very good intercooler or water injection, "Temperature range 5C to 30C approx"

Reply to
Homer

Ah good point, did see that but it didnt register.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The temp sensor on the turbo display I have uses an open element sensor, i believe when these sensors are in the air stream they resond quickly. Same type as used in the cosworth ecu, ATS04????? (If i`m wrong correct me) Requires an M14 * 1.5mm tap - thought is was a standard M14 thread, so had to get an insert made up and use an M18 thread. Won`t make that mistake again!!! Cost me 4 times as much to do!

You could make up a circuit to compare the voltage output of this sensor (its a resistance type so will need some power to the sensor). Only problem is tat the sensor is not very linear - without knowing its calibration it is dificult to know what temp you are operating at. One reason i like this display is that you can set the exact pressure and temp of operation, and the off temp and pressure. (called hystersis to the tech bods!)

On my mates fiesta we set up a circuit using a kit from maplin for temp a hobs switch for pressure. When the water injection kicked in the switch would go off again, as the water injection cooled the sensor! Took us 3 days before the "AHHHHHHHHH" and elightened faces!

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Looked for a hobs switch on the maplin website, couldn't find one.

Will check again. I wonder if I could dig out a GM temp sender from an old scrappy astra, or something from an early injection VAG motor, maybe some thing with electrical rather than electronic injection.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hobbs switch is an american item, got when he was on holiday. Look at heating supplies, might be a good place to start!

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

The intake air is going to get that hot? ;-)

First thing to do is resite the intake so it gets as cold air as possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

possible.

Well, he could remove the turbo I guess

Reply to
fishman

Well, I can't really, unless I position the engine on the other side of the bonnet.

Layout is such that, the outlet from the turbo pointsd upwards. The intercooker sits over the rocker, and the outlet from the intercooker fits into the throttle body.

I want to mount it just before the throttle body, so I can measure intak temps post IC.

Plan initially is maybe for an IC fan, but possibly also to move the IC to the front bumper to get it away from radiant heat from the engine and lag the pipes that replace it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I thought I had seen them on RS components previously, but can't find them now.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You want one of them, you do.

Reply to
Chet

I wouldn't mind, but they aren't cheap. Would be happier finding known sensors and building something with me old soldering iron. Even been looking at DIY widband kits and Megasquirts.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

£150 versions are still about, sometimes on ebay you can get it slightly cheaper. The closest product i could find cost £250, so no guessing which i chose!
Reply to
timmmmayyy!

My thoughts exactly. The chap take makes them was also very accomadating when i wanted an extra warning output on mine (LED/Buzzer when inlet temp reaches 10 degrees higher than WI trigger temp)

Reply to
Chet

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar slurred :

If you fancy soldering something up yourself, I can scribble out a basic circuit and list of bits for you - bung me an email: adotkdotkirbyatdurdotacdotuk

If you need funky digital/programmableness, then probably best to buy something off the shelf.

Reply to
Albert T Cone