Anyone seen this?

27-litre Rover SD1 :) V12 tank-engined monster

Lol not 2.7 :)

Ronny

that's the kinda thing i'm looking for as a second car, something eco friendly!

kiddin' of course it's still sadly a rover :)

Reply to
Vamp

I found a driving video done by the guys in ukrcm, Peeps in here are always on about how good they are :)

Ronny

Old news mate. When PPCmag first started, he sent pictures in for a readers rides entry.

They liked it so much, when they were expanding staff he got a job.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Yeah I only just saw it, so outa touch nowadays :(

Reply to
Ronny

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Ronny decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, I'm on the lookout for an SD1, but I'll only be happy with a V8 one.

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Ronny decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Piece of piss ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

Guy over here put a motor like that in a 57 Chevy. Can't remember the name of it but I am pretty sure the guys name was Rod Hatfield.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

"Practical" Performance Car? Ok it will run as standard on any pump fuel including mixed derv and petrol (not always easy to call at Esso when in battle) and probably any other flammable liquid but I bet it still has rather a drinking problem.

Reply to
Depresion

Heh, reminds me of saturday night!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello, Interesting - I only see a shell of a car and an engine - I don't see them together! I would love to see some pictures of the engine fitted and running.

Reply to
Brian

Hello,

You might like to take a look at

but turn the volume down when you go onto the main site! They did the car for the Jeremy Clarkson video a while back.

Reply to
Brian

I believe the first time he put the autobox into drive, the torque at idle was enough to pull it through the garage wall.

It was mentioned in the original write up.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Er, where did THAT come from ?

It looks just like CCC ! I see Dave Walker is their technical editor...

Reply to
Nom

About a year old now. Will Holman, Danny, and Simon and others from Practical Classics Dave Walker from CCC+others Some recruited staff writers from readers. Filled the gap left on the shelf by CCC, and the Gap left in the salry for Will, Dave, etc.

Dave got redundancy when CCC shut (but he already had Emerald anyway). Will got the book at PC because of differences of opinions about what you should do to Classics.

He tended to follow my opinion that you should do "Whatever is needed to keep it on the road, as a daily driver". He like me prefered to see a modified classic on the road, than a concourse classic on a trailer or under a dust cover.

There is a place for 0 mileage mint condition classics at shows, but equally there is a place for a tuned/rally replica/race replica track car classic too. Thats why he built the V8 Capri.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

very old news cos he was on kit cars and classic and other uk.rec.cars groups sometime ago asking about the fitting of Meteor engine to a car. Go do a google groups.

even posted HERE asking about blowing it
*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3D2ml65rFo2h27U1%2540uni-berlin.de%26rnum%3D6(sorry if that gets mashed)

Reply to
Peter Hill

Interesting.

Oh well, I'm quite happy with Evo these days, so I'll be sticking to it :)

Reply to
Nom

Ah, but does evo tell you the ins and outs of DIY turbo/Supercharging, or give you the heads up on building your own fuel injection and mapping it?

One day, if I ever get my hands on a workshop and welder etc, I want to take a Skoda Rapid 135RiC (low comp Bendix injection experiment with CAT) replace the intake manifold with that from a MPi Felicia or Fabia so I can use standard Bosch injectors, take the turbo from a small Ford or VAG TDi and install a top mount intercooler, and run everything including boost control and water injection from a megasquirt ECU, mapped from the incar PC, with a custom interior and dash board, and give it a mental oldskool group 4 wide arch kit (maybe even use Nova arch repairs for the shape) and a liveried paintjob.

Stick on some electric windows, a decent central locking alarm, and get the sunroof frame from a Saab 900 Welded in and get all the motors and wiring fitted.

It wouldn't be a project that made any kind of economic sense, it would just be one of those things you do, because you can.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Wonder what he used for a gearbox and rear axle?

The John Dodds 'special' of years ago with this engine used a step up box before the gearbox to get something approaching normal car engine speeds and to reduce torque loading. He used the ancient 4 speed Hydramatic auto and a Jag Mk10 rear end, but neither was really up to the torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if i won the lotto i'd get you to build me one for pure comedy value :)

Reply to
Vamp