anyone wanna buy a pair of Sierra XR4x4s?

Yup, I'm flogging the pair of 'em.

"What are they like?" I don't hear you say..

The good one is D reg, white, 2.8, standard, poverty spec, drives well, Avons, towbar, taxed til end of Sep 04, MOT til April 05, just had a pretty full service, bit tappety, viscous fan needs replacing, as do the front anti roll bar bushes, 104000 miles, Cd player, not a bad ol' shed @ all. Reg plate valued at £400, which is the amount I want for it, strangely enough.

The other one is G reg, 2.9, knocky bottom end (although shells should cure it), towbar, taxed til end of Oct 04, Mot til April 05, don't know when it was last serviced as I've not even looked at it properly, MT75 box, ABS, 15" RS alloys, Konis, 2x K&Ns, *stupidly LOUD* exhaust, CD player, remote c/l alarm, bit scruffy but easily rescued, £350 o.n.o (the air filters cost £140 :-o)

Or the pair of 'em for £650ish. Might well swap for something a bit more wafty for work use.

Reply to
Pete M

to be honest mate, they are at the top end of the price scale, even with all the bits on them I can put a few posts up for you if you like, but you'll have to keep an eye out on the link I post ok?

Reply to
dojj

the first oe might not work if you ain't registered though

Reply to
dojj

In news:cg0dvp$9tl$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, dojj decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It does, and I've already put it up there....

as for pricey.... hmm, lets have a think here, G plate first.. I know I can get £150 for the wheels and tyres alone. The Konis are pretty recent and I'd pay £100 for them if I wanted some for the D reg, the K&Ns on the G are pretty new and cost >£140+ vat, so I reckon someone'd pay £50 for 'em 2nd hand, CD player £40, tax £30. So there's £350 and that's all swappable stuff. There's the diffs, the 'box, driveshafts, hubs, ABS...

I'd love to know where all these XR4x4s in better condition than mine for less money are. I've never seen a taxed and tested, honest, original, unmodified XR4x4 that's as good as my D plater go for under £400. If you can point me to one, I'll buy it.

Reply to
Pete M

with

i'm only going by what they have said n the past and what they are bound to say inthe future mate :) either way, if i get any intrest i'll pass it on ;)

Reply to
dojj

In news:cg0j56$aj6$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk, dojj decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Cheers...

Reply to
Pete M

Shells never cure a knocking bottom end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Hmm, I must have imagined the knocky bottom end on my old Orion that was cured by new shells then.

Reply to
Pete M

in that case the bottom end itself was fine. shells cans simply come loose. the spare engine for my 5 has loose shells but we stripped it and the bottom end itself is fine.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

If the shells were 'loose' they'd wear the con rods in no time - steel to steel with little or no lubrication. If they had the wrong initial clearance replacing them might work - if you could get ones with the correct clearance.

However, in 99% of cases it's just wear, and the crank wears as much as the bearing shells. If replacement helps there, it won't for long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also had this problem on a Orion 1.6 Auto, 1989 model. Cured the same way too..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Long term, or just to sell? Most would consider a 'cure' has to last some time...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Mine lasted 50000+ miles after shells "cured" a knocky bottom end. Sold the car to a neighbour who used to do a 160 mile a day commute in it, he kept it for about 2 years, sold it to his son, who had it for a year or so and traded it in. Neither of them have any mechanical aptitude at all, car was "serviced" once a year, and they put oil in "when the oil light on the dash comes on".

Reply to
Pete M