Anyone want my T5?

Decided I don't need it any more, and I can put the proceeds from it to better use elsewhere.

Pictures somewhere in the link below. If you want some proper info let me know!

Ta

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

A price and some basic details in here might help... ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Carl Gibbs, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Tax? Test? Mileage?

Saying that, I'd have to flog El Scorpio to buy it, and I'm not sure I can be arsed with cloth seats :-p

Reply to
Pete M

hmmm T5 no i really shouldn't but....

Reply to
Vamp

Gwon. How much? IIRC you're stupidly far south though.

Reply to
Doki

Oh behave yourself.

My personal bests so far for collecting bangers are Peterborough and Didcot. Road trips for crap cars are a must.

Not that I'm dissing the Volvo mind :-)

How much :-)))

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Aberdeen - Hatfield for a £350 Clarton Aberdeen - Luton for a £100 Citroen BX.

Loved it. I cheated and used a plane to get there on both occasions however.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Blimey, lemme think of my list......

5 Mk3 Escorts (plus one bought for interior etc.) - all local. Mk2 Astra van off my neighbour My First Carlton (TM) off a mate

Then the madness began.....

D reg 2.3D Carlton Estate - 650 quid - Brackley (50 miles or so)

L reg Carlton (near immaculate, that thing was) - 900 quid - Sully, near Barry Island - a fair old way, felt even longer as the diesel Carlton we went up there in split an injector pipe on the way up, meaning it used double the fuel, and left a thin film of diesel on the windscreen of my new Carlton! (Very easy fix actually - full marks to Carquip UK the vauxhall spares people for their general topnotchness).

Another Carlton (2.0CDX) - 750 quid - Swindon.

A ropey old 2.3TD Carlton off ebay for 100 quid - grotty as f*ck inside - been used to tow a burger van, and had the generator sitting in the back running. JB's testament to how utterly minging the thing was.

Glasgow for a 3-year-old Fiesta van for £2.4k - probably doesn't count as a banger, mind.

Nor does Lowdham (near Nottingham, ish) for an expensive 8 year old A6 TDI (plus up to Doncaster North services to say hello to Tim and Dervy).

All the way over to Essex (A13 corridor) for a 350 quid M reg Fiesta van.

Bradford for a just-under 3yo Seat Inca van (£1900 or so).

Evesham for a 400 quid 1.6 BX - geniune 25k-miler off ebay

Bristol for a Daewoo Leganza (1100 quid) - which, relative to expectations, wasn't all too bad.

Eastbourne - Renault Master dCi - very well maintained high miler - drove spot on - random engine cutting out problem, sold as a non-runner, lost about a grand on it after Renault dealer wanted lots to fix. Mistake purchase.

Carlton Diamond (smashed up, for spares) - Alton.

Carlton (bought for the diff) - towed all the way back from Worthing with no brakes. Popped to Halfrauds to buy a solid towbar - was very careful, and managed fine, apart from a brief moment where I decided to pop into Bridges (breakers) at Pease Pottage, missed the turning, and approached the next small roundabout in the manner of someone not towing a car that had no brakes. Result: one banana shaped solid tow bar, and one slightly grazed rear bumper on my car (tow car). Proceeded to park the spares car (with half of the light units missing, etc etc) in the customer car park of a breakers yard (thankfully they didn't tow it in!), and successfully got a Halfrauds muppet to give me a replacement tow bar, FOC. If they had brains they'd be dangerous - receipt was from Halfrauds in Worthing, instructions said not to tow above 20mph - basic maths could have proved we did otherwise....

Seat Ibiza - 1100 quid - from Hull, met Tim Kemp at Leicester Forest East services to collect it.

Golf GTi - Liverpool (PeteM).

I'm trying to give it up, really I am....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's why I've bought Halfords spanners. My reasoning is that a 17 year old isn't going to know enough to argue with you when you come in with a spanner snapped in half. £15 less than Teng was a nice bonus too.

Reply to
Doki

"Minging" wouldn't eve come >>>this

Reply to
JB

Saab 2 from Durham Rangie from Kidderminster Octavia from Holmfirth Estelle from Hazel Grove (when I didn't drive) Favorit from Other side of Warrington GT4 from down the 2 miles away Saab 1 from a mile away Grey whale from the end of our street.

Reply to
Elder

Sorry, posted quickly as I was on my way out to Tescos and didn't bother cos didnt think anyone would be interested!! And seats have a little bit of leather on them :)

Right, as I'm feeling lazy I'll cut and paste from an ad I've done elsewhere:

I'm currently considering selling my 850 T5. I'd always fancied trying one, and in August I was after a cheap car to take on holiday and couldn't resist it when my Dad's friend was selling his!! It did around a 1000 trouble free miles in a week, but since then, apart from a couple of weekends away, I rarely have a need to use it so am just seeing if anyone else was interested.

It's a 1993 850 Turbo T5 Estate. It's done 172k miles, but still drives really well, and pulls hard. It's got MoT till the end June 2008 and tax till March 2008 (I think). It isn't quite fully loaded, but you do get e/w, e/m, e/s/r, PAS, adjustable height steering column, heated mirrors, heated seats (although drivers doesnt seem to work) and an integral rear child seat. Since I've had it I've done the following jobs: Oil/filter change Replaced handbrake shoes Fitted 1 new front tyre Fitted original Volvo front strut brace Replaced rear lights with some non-frosted ones Fixed boost gauge Fitted 2 new front drop links

Before I got it the cambelt was done.

It drives fantastically and is pretty quick thanks to having 225bhp on tap (certainly quicker than it looks!). Being an early model it also has the 'reverse flow intercooler' which is regarded as being better than the later designed setup. It has it's issues though - the 2 main ones being the ECU light comes on every now and again and throws up a Lambda sensor error. The car still drives fine and once reset the light will stay off for ages before coming on again. I believe that sometime last year it had a replacement lambda sensor, but was an aftermarket part which apparently the ECU doesn't like. A replacement Bosch part is £72 which would hopefully cure it. However I've got a 2nd hand sensor which I was going to fit to see if it helped, but haven't got round to it yet. Also the bite point on the clutch is quite high so I reckon that'll need changing sometime soon, but it's never caused me a problem (shifts fine and no slippage) so I haven't worried about it. There's a few other niggles, but nothing major.

Oh, and it has a stainless steel exhaust which is quite loud, and also a removable tow bar.

Basically, a quick, comfortable, practical car that can also be a bit mental!!!

More pics and a video of the car in action here:

I've got it up for £800 on the VOC forum, and a guy on there has offered me £1k if I sort the Lambda sensor and clutch, which I'm currently considering. But if someone makes me a sensible offer how it is I may well accept. Would also consider a swap/part-ex for something reliable and TD powered, or a small warm hatch or a cheap cabrio. Something like a 205 TD, 306 TD, 106 XSi, Corsa TD, 205 CJ, mk1 MR2 etc

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

GLOL!

In fairness, with most seats/boot carpets etc replaced with ones out of your car, and a quick drive through the car wash it ended up semi-respectable, and it actually served me ok.

MOT - all it needed doing was one or two tyres (I had a full set of good tyres on rims from a previous Carlton, sitting in the garden), a couple of bulbs, and the washers unblocking (the rubber filter thingamywotsit in the washer fluid reservoir was blocked up with chip fat type stuff, legacy of the burger van....), and bosh, one MOT. Did 8000 trouble free miles, averaging 40mpg, until the heater matrix srpung a leak.

Then things went downhill. Well, things actually went downhill after I changed the oil in it. Heater matrik sprung a leak - for quickness I just bypassed it, but obviously left some sort of airlock in the coolant system, as it kept on heating up rather quickly. Then one morning, on the motorway, the coolant temp steadied down and I thought "good, it's purged that air lock - excellent". Then regular small puffs of white smoke were coming out of the exhaust. Then an oil presure light, a big bang, and lots of oil related smoke. Right in the middle of Junction 10 of the M4. As in where there's no hard shoulder due to being right before the point a sliproad joins. Thank f*ck nobody was on the sliproad joining from Bracknell at the time, as it meant I could veer over to the hard shoulder on that to relative safety.

And not only that, but I had a minor shunt in the other Carlton, and it turned out that this one was *exactly* the same colour (i.e. same colour code on the VIN plate), so the bumper and bonnet came in very handy. So all in all it cost me about 200 quid tops (including buying it, getting it home, and getting it through an MOT) for 8000 trouble free miles, and a few troublesome ones towards the end. I've had worse....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Working in Ipswich one summer, and arranging to buy a rally-prepped Fiat

124 A-series coupe from some Navy bloke down Pszszsmouth way. No problem, it's just the other side of London, isn't it?

Later on I realised I'd been thinking Portsmouth, and he was actually in Plymouth. Bit of a difference that.

There was also a carb linkage problem, leaving me with just two speeds: pootle and Fark! An interesting drive back, arriving around dawn and just in time for work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley