Art car, tidy up, or restore? The fate of my Mercedes...

It's solid underneath, I reckon it'll get the MOT no problem once I've fixed one headlight (diffuser fell off) and the springs. So...

Shall I paint it pink and call it 'Perdita, Queen of the Autobahn' Shall I just tidy it up a little and use it, or sell it? Shall I have a go at restoring it?

Or shall I do something else with it?

Since I'm too late for Plymouth-Dakar or even Staples to Naples...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

What car is it????

Btw Richard, was it you who originally mentioned Staples to Naples on one of the uk.rec.cars.* groups (in the last few months? Ever since I found out about it, me and a mate are absolutely hooked on the idea of the Naples one, but haven't been organised enough to sort anything out for this year.

Which brings me to my next point - how many peeps reading this would be seriously up for doing Staples to Naples next year? Me, for one.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You could take that silly french rag-top thing :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It cost a smidge over £100. And annoyingly, you're supposed to sell your car at the end of it (OTOH, it doesn't have to be for charity. The 200 would get good money in Africa).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Same time as everything else, I'd assume. I've only driven it 7 miles so far, but it seems quite capable of 70 or so. The hills might be fun, but at least my cooling system is good.

I'd love to get my paws on a 280TE, nice engine in those. For the money they fetch, I could have had a W124 300TE 4Matic earlier this year, though.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Slam it on the ground. Get all the chrome restored, and stick on a set of big chrome wire wheels with white walls, and tint the windows as dark as you can get away with.

Go an annoy all the plastic modders.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Wish I'd a quid for every time you've posed this question about your latest acquisition...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Richard Kilpatrick waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

I paid £400 for a C plate 280TE with 10 months MOT, FMBSH, leather, and A/C.. I've not seen a W124 for that little yet though..Ran it for 3 months, sold it for £650. Wasn't a dog either, just beginning to get a bit crispy round the aerial, other than that.. nice car.

Reply to
Pete M

probably about £15?

Reply to
Theo

Heh - hence the :-)

That's the general idea - the basic idea being that it's a sub-£100 banger that it would cost a lot more in fuel and tolls to get back than the car would be worth - even if you get nothing for it, you're much better off.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heh! Reminds me of something funny I should have said once, but didn't think of until about a day after the event. Someone at uni was pissed off because I'd said my band would come in for him to record us, but never actually confirmed (and told him that it wasn't confirmed as I had to check with everyone), and about a week before the studio was booked I told him we couldn't do it. He then got arsey and said to me something along the lines of "actually, I've always found you irritating" or something like that.

To which I should have said "well, if I had a pound every time someone said that to me, I'd have, oooh, about ten quid by now".

Oh, how the people would have laughed......

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

the people? the great unwashed?

Reply to
Theo

I think I've already used up all of next year's holiday . . . but t'would be interested. Although I know nothing about Staples to Naples . . . :)

Reply to
DervMan